Toshiba Encore 2 Write does NOT use Wacom Feel It (Penabled/EMR) digitizer

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jan 7, 2015.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I stopped by my local Microsoft Store hoping to see the Encore2 Write on display so I could play with the Pen. Unfortunately it wasn't on display....just those worthless HP Stream cheaplets everywhere. I asked one of the store clerks about it.....and it seemed like he had passing knowledge of the tablet ("The one with the pen right?") he said that he knew they didn't have any in stock, but he would check their inventory site to see if any of the other Microsoft Stores would have it in stock, or at least what dates they would come to stores.

He checked and said there was no SKU number for it, and no physical store has it and its only for Sale on-line. And he said that it doesn't look like this specific tablet will ever hit the physical stores.

Kind of disappointing, but for me anyway perhaps this is for the best. I'm a horrible impulse buyer and having it hand makes the purchase easier, and $350 for yet another Baytrail tablet is the least thing I need. Rather put the money towards the companion 2.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

3. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I still call shenanigans on this as an excuse from Wacom. The Galaxy Note Pro 12 is thinner than my SP3 an it's Wacom. It's hard for me to believe that adding a larger eMMC or SSD and a fanned CPU would add so much more thickness.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You can't compare GN Pro 12 that uses sub 3W ARM SOC with the likes of Core i5 u or Core M machines that also strive for thinnest chassis. Having a thin ARM SOC tablet or even a Bay Trail isn't a big deal. But then again, GN Pro 12 could be thin as iPad 2 Air if you got rid of the Wacom EMR board layer as well.

The bigger point than the thinner chassis is the flexibility of selling the pen apart from the tablet without the tablet incurring the cost of the EMR digitizer, especially to those who don't see the benefit of the pen and want the lowest price for the tablet possible without the pen. That was the bigger draw for ODMs to use Active ES vs EMR Feel It digitizer, and the reason why Wacom lost so many OEM wins to N-Trig in the last few years.

JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have been sound to the two largest electronic stores where I live in Japan and neither had received the Toshiba Dynabook Tab yet, but one store said they thought they should receive some in mid February so I will make another attempt to get my hands on an actual shipping model. Seems like they are aiming it for online sales, which to me is a bit surprising since this it's something you actually need to try out before making a purchase decision.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

6. saqrkh

saqrkh Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting, it's usually the opposite in Canada, i.e. the physical Microsoft Stores will have products that aren't even listed on the website, and this includes PCs (tablet and laptop). I remember seeing the ASUS VivoTab Note 8 in the physical store a good 1-2 weeks before it was available online.

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

In the US,, physical Microsoft stores are a myth that is claimed to exist in some far away land (like Washington DC).

8. saqrkh

saqrkh Pen Pal - Newbie

Well the American population seems to be pretty well dispersed. In Canada, most of us are concentrated in like a dozen cities (or less). In some cases, Microsoft just needed to put a store in a landmark mall (e.g. Eaton Centre) to effectively cover the local population.

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

These posts prompted me to research it a little. I had thought that only ~50% of the us population was concentrated in cities, but apparently ~80% of the US population is "urban". I'm not really sure how urban is defined, but that surprised me.

Maybe the average American isn't as far away from a MS store as I thought. I've never lived closer than a couple hours away from a large city though, so my point of view is probably slanted.

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually my local Physical Microsoft Stores used to be the same....they had the Asus Note 8 on sale in the store before the web release. (it wasn't on display but they had the stock in the backroom) They also used to have much greater in-store variety of tablets. I guess their opting for the Less is More approach Apple does