Toshiba Encore 2 Write does NOT use Wacom Feel It (Penabled/EMR) digitizer

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You are focusing on wrong part of their experience IMO. I think Wacom's greatest asset isn't that their digitizers are EMR based. I think their greatest asset is their pressure sensor assembly inside their pens. They are now able to get down to 1 gram or initial pressure force registration. Others are catching up fast in this realm, but they are still the top.

The EMR is an asset, but also deficit in that it goes against the goal of ever decreasing chassis thickness. EMR requires a layer behind the LCD and will be an obstacle for many ODMs to include in their Pen Tablets.

This is one reason why Wacom initiated the Active ES program. Other is also the flexibility the set up allows their ODMs in selling their tablets. With wide Adoption of Active ES touch digitizer (which has the necessary chip for pen operations as well), you can always sell them the pen separately later and not include the price of it in the initial purchase.

As for Duo Sense 2 vs Active ES, they felt EXACTLY THE SAME to me in how they operate, even down to the initial contact confusion that causes a blob in Fresh Paint. I could make an argument that the Wacom's pressure curve was more pleasant, but that might be due to my preference for how they set up their pressure curve. I have video of me using Fresh Paint with Toshiba Encore 2 Write that I still have to overdub (sound was no good) that will show what I'm talking about.

One potential HUGE difference that isn't shown in the video that is a big one, at least to me, is that from what Wacom guys told me (but not confirmed 100%) is that Active ES will work with their Consumer WinTab driver (Feel It driver). This for me is game changer against anything N-Trig since you have pressure with ALL art apps, and also, YOU CAN MAP THE DAMN PEN SIDE BUTTONS!!! MS still haven't done anything with Surface Pro 3 pen side buttons mapping and I'm not holding my breathe. Active ES devices will let me use it more productively than DuoSense 2 devices for this reason, and that's the whole ballgame for me.

2. Shogmaster

For those wondering about Palm Rejection, it's about par with DuoSense 2. Wait for my video upload coming soon.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The pressure curve doesn't matter much to note takers, but the IAF force probably does. Is the pressure sensing method really independent though? My (very imperfect) understanding was that the pressure was sensed by modifying the LC circuit (by a capacitance change?) which changes the resonant frequency of the pen. Would the same technology work in a pro cap pen?

Also, N-Trig tech is now starting to catch up after many years of developement, but for the years that wacom had been dominating the market, there had been much more to wacom's advantage than pressure sensitivity. The writing experience has been much more fluid and precise. Additionally, the pens are much more reliable not suffering from things like contact corrosion, mysterious battery drain, etc.

There are certainly cost advantages for pro cap with so much of the cost going into the pen which can be sold as optional accessory. Also there should in theory be device thinness advantages (although my GN4 is super thin). There are certainly tradeoffs, but until quite recently the deficiencies of pro cap pens were so large that it didn't really matter.

My point was just that I don't have any inherent trust in wacom as a company, but it is good to hear initial impressions are positive.

4. Shogmaster

The pressure sensor assembly and the EMR board is completely independent and exchangeable. Pen does use the EMR board for power via magnetic resonance, and communication of the pressure data, but that's about it.

I told you last year that a friend and I swapped the pressure sensor assembly from DTK Cintiq pen and the UD Penabled pen and ended up with a 1 gram IAF UD Penabled pen. This was possible because the pressure sensor is completely independent and modular.

5. Mesosphere

UD stands for?

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

UD was the identifier for the Wacom ArtZ, Art Pad, & C. which used the same technology as was used in "penabled" Tablet PCs.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Looking forward to this one. I'm also curious if the initial blot that you mention occurs consistently, or only after prolonged 'touch only' use. And if that only happens in Paint or in other programs as well.

8. Mesosphere

So it is still EMR then?

9. Shogmaster

Joe S,

AFAICT, it only happens when the app first launches, or there hasn't been touch or pen action for a while.

Basically I believe the software has trouble determining the initial contact as pen or touch, since they both use the touch digitizer. The board determines it as pen data if it's a higher capacitance then the finger and/or accompanied with pressure data, but there seems to be a few millisecond delay of that pressure data from the initial contact, and there is no finger vs pen capacitance data to compare yet, so the app treats the first contact as finger contact.

That's my best guess anyways.

10. Shogmaster

Yes. The only none EMR Wacom active pen digitizer is this new "Active ES".