Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10 initial impressions

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by WillAdams, May 16, 2015.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

Just got mine and agree it’s a great machine. Some thoughts from an anal-retentive, detail-oriented person of all-too often unpleasant disposition:

• the box design was nice, until the 3rd party branding for Office365 and Intel came along (the latter is applied as a sticker?)
    • if the keyboard box were just fractionally larger it would be possible to discard its plain cardboard insert and store the machine box inside it— I’m probably the only person in the world who’d bother, but it would have been nice
    • the AC adapter is branded Chicony (at least on my machine) and is 5V 2A output — you might want a second adapter (and cable) to charge the keyboard as well as the machine since there’s only one USB connection — or get an adapter w/ two cable ports. It had a pair of stickers, one of which was a QR code — a nuisance to remove
    • the lanyard is interesting — while I used one on my Fujitsu Stylistic, I’m going to skip it here
    • as noted below, the keyboard case seems nice and well-made (brown pleather instead of black though) and while useful for occasional typing on a flat, steady table or counter, will likely disappoint anyone expecting it to function as a full-on laptop replacement. The keyboard is glued in, and the tablet is not held in place, save loosely when closed. Using magnets to hold everything in place would have been nice (if technologically feasible).
    • the pen is really nice, though I’m disappointed by the hover distance. Still getting used to it. In retrospect, the tablet could really use some external keys / touch points: disable touch, shift, control and other modifier keys, &c.
    • except that the pen tip is of the sort to attract dirt and grit, and the screen is a soft plastic — anyone make a tempered glass screen protector for this thing?

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    internalaudit and Mesosphere like this.
  2. WillAdams

One more thing

The nib is apparently spring loaded, so gives vertically ― Somehow none of the reviews (save for one) saw fit to mention that.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    lis and internalaudit like this.
  3. internalaudit

internalaudit Pen Pal - Newbie

4. WillAdams

It doesn’t come w/ a keyboard case, that’s an add-on accessory for it, which was on sale when I got my machine.

The case in the link would be the snap case I believe. I considered it, but decided that I’d just use the tablet sans case, and carry the keyboard and use it at need.

There is one slight problem w/ that, the keyboard has two plastic tabs, which I’m worried will get broken off or damaged if I don’t put the tablet inside the case before stowing it in my bag.

internalaudit likes this.
  5. WillAdams

Except the screen has begun flickering.

Any possibility it's a software setting? Or will I need to return it?

6. WillAdams

Still a bit weirded out by this, but someone on Reddit claimed it was temporary--- sure enough, hauled it in to work w/ the receipt to call them, but the screen was stable all day.

7. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Toshiba has created its own apps for notetaking with sketches,so I think toshiba could be serious about the pen input.How well the input accuracy of the pen is?

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The pen accuracy is excellent. The pen is Wacom Active ES.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. WillAdams

Wacom’s AES pen technology is a marked improvement in terms of tracking, esp. around the edges.

I just wish the hover distance were greater.

10. WillAdams

Further issues:

- right-click functionality doesn't work as I'd expect --- can't right-click drag-drop, functions differently based on whether tip touching display, &c.
    - pen can only be used w/ the sign-on keypad once --- have to use touch thereafter (this is caused by turning on the option to allow note-taking in TrueNote at the sign on screen)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015