Toshiba DynaPad TruPen issues

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Kanthara, Oct 16, 2016.

1. John Paul Vaughan

John Paul Vaughan Pen Pal - Newbie

As a follow up to my pen issue, I contacted Toshiba (no response), Wacom (no response) and Melafone, who sent me a replacement pen. The tablet works great now with the new pen. Very happy with the cpu performance and pen sensitivity in the Sketchbook Pro app from the App store (it's the only program I've tried as of yet).

WillAdams and surfaceproartist like this.
  2. aviator1209

aviator1209 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Kanthara,

We are in Aruba, Caribbean and we are experiencing the exact same issue with the pen. We bought 2. One of them perfectly and the other one works with the characteristics you mentioned. We would like to know how is your tablet doing with the new pen you bought, the MatePen. And also, too bad we did not see these posts before we bought them, otherwise we could have tested them right away at the store before buying.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Kind Regards,

Aviator1209
    Aruba

3. Kanthara

Kanthara Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!

The MatePen works beautifully with the tablet, I've had no issues so far. I will say that when its power runs out, it happens rather suddenly, but I carry around power pack for my cell phone so it's easy to plug it in and keep working.

Could you not return the one tablet pen that doesn't work to the store where you purchased it? My issue was one of online purchase and cross-border "smuggling", but you mention not trying it out at the store before leaving with it.

aviator1209 and WillAdams like this.
  4. aviator1209

aviator1209 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello.

Yes, we can definitly return it at the store and get a full refund from where we bought it from. They have around 15 more in stock. We tried to replace it with a new one. They opened some new boxes and stopped trying after the third straight box with the same faulty pen.

We were thinking to get a pen that can actually work with this tablet rather than returning it. So we will go back to the store and talk to the manager and see if they can provide us with a MatePen at no cost.

I have to add this also, thank you very very much for your post. This way we can see that we are not alone experiencing the same issues. It really helped us a lot. Thanks again for starting this post.

Kind Regards,

Aviator1209
    Aruba

5. Kanthara

I'm glad the thread is helping people! I'm also grateful other people spoke up and commented and were helpful here, too. I'm glad this forum exists.

6. David.P

David.P Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi @all,

I got my Dynapad yesterday, and so far am very happy with it. I plan to use it mainly for reading/annotating PDF, so performance is not that crucial. An absolute highlight seem to be the microphones. Perfect speech recognition with Google even from a normal hand-held distance.

However, I realized that the only browser that scrolls a page fluidly and effortlessly is Microsoft Edge. Even Google Chrome seems to have difficulties with jerk-free scrolling.

Do you guys experience that as well, or could this be a driver issue?

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Kanthara

Hey David,

I can't say I've noticed any issues with scrolling in Chrome; then again, I use the DynaPad almost exclusively with Sketchbook Pro and don't spend much time browsing or doing online stuff, and I never use Edge. In trying it now, I don't notice a lag or jerky motion, so it may be driver-related, or perhaps some clunky software is interfering with Chrome. Do you have things like Spybot Search and Destroy installed? Or maybe another type of virus protector that may work better with Edge than Chrome? I know Spybot to cause some issues when it steps in to scan things before I can use them all the time on my other computer.

Hope you can figure it out!

WillAdams and David.P like this.
  8. David.P

David.P Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Kanthara,

appreciate your reply!

I actually don't have any bloatware or the like on the DynaPad. I only realize that with the Microsoft Edge browser (similar if you try for example the really nice Microsoft News App), scrolling and edge-bouncing of pages is absolutely fluid and jerk-free (like on a new iPad), while with all other browsers, scrolling is OK but just not as perfectly fluid as in MS Edge.

So are you really not seeing any differences between Edge and other browsers (particularly Chrome), scrolling-wise?

Another question that I have is related to charging the DynaPad. I must say that I don't have an original Toshiba charger, instead I use a normal USB charger.

Now as long as I use the DynaPad, it does NOT charge (the LED at the charger port of the DynaPad stays off, and it says "not charging" when clicking on the Battery symbol). When in energy-saving mode (Standby), the DynaPad does charge, but takes like several days until it gets to 100%. Only if it is completely shut down, it seems to fully charge like overnight.

Do you see similar behavior with charging your DynaPad?

Thank you
    David

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  9. Kanthara

OOOOOHHHHH I see what you mean about the jerky scrolling. I opened the same website on both browsers and scrolled up and down, and yes, Edge is more fluid than Chrome. That's just the way it is, it's not a question of drivers or anything. Edge was just designed to be more smooth and fluid.

As for charging, yes, it's slow when not using the Toshiba wire. I accidentally bent the small USB plug of my Toshiba wire and now have to use a different one. I still have the Toshiba wall plug, so I use that when I have it. When the DynaPad is on, it tells me it's not charging. However, the light does turn on and is orange, so I figure at worst, the power level would be stable while plugged in. When I plugged in a high caliber battery pack, the light did not turn on at all, although the computer told me it was plugged in.

Thing is, I got this as a secondary tool to my office-based 21 inch Cintiq, a "while on the go I can keep working" thing, so I rarely use up its entire charge (First time was on an east to west coast plane trip). As soon as I get to where I'm going, I plug it in and forget about it until I need it again. I would need to time it, but while in-between two flights, plugging it in for roughly an hour using my cell phone plug only brought it from 6% to 14%. It might be worth looking at getting a better wire?

10. David.P

David.P Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Kanthara,

thank you for your information! Now I'm relieved that you are seeing different browser performance as well. So it is probably not a driver issue, but rather owed to the fact that the Dynapad has a relatively weak processor, while at the same time Microsoft Edge is known for using especially little computer resources.

With respect to charging, possibly the original Toshiba charger is a special charger that delivers a higher voltage than the normal 5 Volts. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't say anything about this. Anyway, I'll keep trying with different chargers.

On the other hand, it seems that I only get closer to like five hours instead of ten hours runtime from the battery. This however could be due to the fact that my Dynapad's battery was absolutely dead when I received it (first, it would not even start charging for an entire day), so possibly the battery has suffered from the long storage time without being charged.