Toshiba DynaPad TruPen issues

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Kanthara, Oct 16, 2016.

1. platypuspress

platypuspress Pen Pal - Newbie

It's not coming to Canada, it almost seems like Toshiba is already dropping it in USA

2. Kanthara

Kanthara Pen Pal - Newbie

Well that's disappointing.
    What's also disappointing is the fact that despite touting all these extra levels of pressure, the dynaPad is not performing as well with Sketchbook Pro as is my Cintiq 21UX. Mischief is also not performing well; I expected it to not require much processing power as it is a very light program. This is annoying because Mischief is my favourite sketching program.

Paint Tool SAI is happily functional, but then I haven't opened a large size file yet.

All in all, I am pretty disappointed in this tablet. I am considering just returning it, if I still can, and getting something else.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you played with your Wacom Feel driver options? You may be running into the dynaPad's RAM ceiling. What do you have attached to your Cintiq?

4. Kanthara

I have played with the Wacom Feel options. I'm also unfamiliar with Windows 10 so I might be missing options and settings just by not knowing how to access them. I'm used to Windows 7.

My Cintiq is plugged into an Asus X75V, running an Intel Core i5 and 8 gigs of RAM. This computer is now roughly 5 years old.

5. platypuspress

platypuspress Pen Pal - Newbie

I personally use Clip Studio Paint (Manga Studio) the most, and maybe I don't have a lot to compare to since I've never owned a Wacom enabled device, my home computer has a UC Logic Yiynova device... so far since I got the Wacom pen, the dynapad has run great with full range of pressure sensitivity.

6. Kanthara

Maybe I'm being picky. But here's a clipped thumbnail page for a storyboard I'm working on. The top two drawings were done on the Cintiq, while the two bottom ones were on the dynaPad. I find the line is shakier, more jagged; there's less difference between my light sketch strokes and my bolder ones, on the dynaPad drawn lines. It is more obvious going through my last clean storyboard, the drawings are not as crisp when done on the dynaPad. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. surfaceproartist

Clip Studio Paint has brush stabilization and pen pressure controls that allow you to compensate for the differences between pens and tablets. The latest version of Sketchbook Pro introduced some stabilization and a pen mode that disables touch. I'll look at the dynaPad and post some pics.

8. surfaceproartist

You probably know Sketchbook better than I, so I apologize up front if this post is ridiculously basic.

There are two versions of Sketchbook. The desktop version has brush stabilization (see circled area), but no way to turn off touch input. A forthcoming update (currently in beta) will include a pen mode.

You should also be able to adjust your brush's ink flow under advanced settings so that you get darker lines with less pressure.

[​IMG]

Sketchbook for Windows Tablets was recently released (same subscription) and it offers a pen mode which disables touch painting while preserving gestures and stroke stabilization.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    WillAdams likes this.
  9. Kanthara

To be honest, I am not that knowledgeable in the software. It was a case of "We use this to do the work and nothing else because we work with layered tif files, here, have an old version of the software so you can get the work done", followed by having to upgrade to the current version due to a Windows update that broke my computer. It was very much trial-by-fire and I'm maybe using about 10 to 15% of what this program can actually do. The stabilization option is not something I was aware of, so I'll fiddle with it and with brush settings.

I really appreciate the help! It's frustrating to search online for specific digital artist issues because there are so few people who use their tablets the way we do, making our problems rare and difficult to resolve. I'm grateful for this forum.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  10. Kanthara

OMG YES - I turned the stabilization down to zero and now it draws exactly what my hand is drawing! No more artificial curve smoothness or line straightening and jagged edges to my quickly drawn lines. Thank you!

surfaceproartist likes this.