Toshiba DynaPad TruPen issues

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Kanthara, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Snowy

Snowy Pen Pal - Newbie

I walked by Microsoft store the other day and noticed that they have the Huawei Matebook and Matepen on display. So I took my DynaPad to the store today and tried the Matepen. It worked!

2. Kanthara

Kanthara Pen Pal - Newbie

Fantastic!

I'm currently still waiting for mine because Fedex is doing a horrible job finding my house to deliver the Matepen I ordered. My level of frustration is high but you saying that the Matepen works on your tablet is giving me hope that this will be the end of my issues!

3. Kanthara

Woohoo! The Matepen works! Thanks, @surfaceproartist , for the compatibility chart!

4. John Paul Vaughan

John Paul Vaughan Pen Pal - Newbie

I also just received a dynapad from melofone today and the trupen isn't working as expected. I can always see the hover circle when placing the pen near the screen, and it mostly doesn't make a mark when pressing down. It sometimes randomly makes a line from soft to heavy ink (but never back to soft, it just cuts out). I've tried changing the nib and downloading the updated wacom feel drivers. How disappointing for a shiny new toy to be broken out of the box! I live in Australia so sending it back would cost more than buying a new pen.

Would you say the Matepen is as good as buying a new Trupen, in terms of the "feels like drawing on paper" feature that Dynapad used as a selling point ?

5. Kanthara

I personally think the Matepen works beautifully. I picked that one from all the others because it can be charged by USB instead of needing batteries, and because I couldn't have the Truepen delivered to Canada directly. I like its shape, lightly ridged barrel for a good grip, and positioning of the side buttons.

And making my friend's cat freak out with the laser pointer. ;)

6. Kanthara

That said, I'm going to leave a review on Amazon's Melofone storefront because there's so many people having issues with the TruPen that other buyers need to be warned off. I would encourage you those of you in the same situation to do the same, on whichever storefront you bought from.

7. John Paul Vaughan

John Paul Vaughan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info Kanthara.
    I do think it's odd that Melofone have a few defective pens - my faith in humanity is hopeful it's a driver issue or a problem with all Trupens.

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nope. I have two DynaPad TruPens that work perfectly. These appear to be a defective batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Paul Vaughan and WillAdams like this.
  9. platypuspress

platypuspress Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I decided to go with Wacom's 2-1 Bamboo pen, and after working with a middleman in the states (since the wacom store doesn't ship to Canada), FINALLY able to see if it's a pen issue and yes, defective pen. New one works perfectly. I also agree to avoid buying a DynaPad from Melafone (I bought via their ebay page, not amazon) unless you're okay that there's a chance the pen doesn't work out of the box. Currently talking with Toshiba to see if I can get a refund on the pen, but unlikely given I'm Canadian.

10. Kanthara

I am considering waiting for the Canadian release of the DynaPad and the TruPen, ordering a Trupen, then returning the defective one, just so I have an extra stylus in case I misplace my current one.