Toshiba 5 in 1 Article "Toshiba Dynabook KIRA L93"

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by kneehowguys, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Toshiba 5 in 1 Article

"Toshiba plans to begin selling the Dynabook KIRA L93 in Japan in late June."

Toshiba Dynabook KIRA L93 is a "7-in-1" convertible PC - Liliputing

Liliputing and a Japanese website said they will actually make this device. At least ihttp://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2014_05/pr_j1901.htm

We knew exactly what this device was. Now we know what it looks like with a spaceship background. And they have evidently bumped up the number 5 to 7 so we can use it in more ways we don't exactly care for but could end up using by accident anyhow.

Would you use this device over a t902/904 or thinkpad yoga or a SP2?

Prolly no room for extra battery space it is so thin. Don't think it's battery life will be that awesome. Probably not many ports because it is so thin. Bluetooth keyboard, I feel if it is bluetooth it might not work so great but when it does you will running away with your keyboard.. Oh, and no touchpad. I really don't get why people or at least companies who advertise their products like tents and kiosks.

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well if it keeps a Wacom digitizer, that in itself already makes this a pretty attractive alternative to the SP3. I think the ergonomics of the hinge flap will be the other deciding factor. For portrait mode user, I think the hinge flap will allow better weight distribution, but for landscape, it may introduce a little awkwardness.

Overall, Toshiba still has yet to make a major play in the Tablet PC market so I'm pretty excited for this one.

3. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

If Microsoft cannot improve N-trig's digitizer on SP3, then this will be very attractive, except for the price ($2600?? Microsoft News | Toshiba Announces Dynabook KIRA L93, A 7-in-1 Windows Hybrid Device)
    Here is the hand-on on Computex:
    [video=youtube;ucyx2UmLRhE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucyx2UmLRhE[/video]
    It looks like wacom, hopefully it is finally.
    13.3" 2560x1440 is great, comparable to SP3's 12" 2160x1440. And according to some video review, the bluetooth keyboard has battery in-built, so when connected, it can provide extra battery life.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

WHAT.

Why is this machine not garnering more attention?? To me it is the perfect form factor of them all for an artist or draftsperson. Wish it had more power, but it's at least as powerful as SP3 and other ULV thin and lights. Here it is for sale in Japan (Japan only, unfortunately) dynabook KIRA L93iCore i7j | “ŒŽÅƒ_ƒCƒŒƒNƒg

If you watch the video of the guy drawing on it, http://youtu.be/NfG2m5vxCdE (thanks Marty!) in tablet mode he can detach the keyboard and use it for shortcuts, which to me (although some would see it as cumbersome) is extremely handy as it eliminates the need to carry a separate keyboard! It's genius!

It's own backend also then serves as a "kickstand" to put it in canvas mode if you will, also eliminating the need to carry around a separate laptop rise or similar thing... My T902 currently lives with a cooler master adjustable laptop riser and Logitech G13 usb game pad for shortcuts in the laptop bag, with that machine I would need nothing but the machine itself, and still have all the functionality!

I wish I could get the T902 power in a form factor like that!

It makes me sad that a form factor that finally solves my use case perfectly will probably never take off and be considered by most to be a flop. Imma go cry in a corner of a coffeeshop now...

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It is about $700 more than the equivalent SP3.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

In think Toshiba has been really cautious with it's tablet pc rollout here in north america, especially since the Protege z10t didn't seem to get much traction. It's really a shame cause, if you old-timers recall ;), only Toshiba had the balls to put in a discrete gpu (back in 2004!) and 1400x1050 screens (very high resolution for the time) with the Protege M200 and Tecra M4.

If they just took the same mentality and built a thicker—but graphically capable—Wacom tablet, I think they would quickly build a following here. They've always been known for not skimping on connectivity or internals, cmon Toshiba give us the slightly-chunky, super tablet us digital artists all crave! =)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    stoneseeker likes this.
  7. balistic

balistic wacom jock

I really wanted to stick with Toshiba when I made the decision to retire my m400 after almost 7 years, but the z10 was the only thing they had available at the time and it just seemed a little underwhelming compared to competing tablets. And the Dynabook would have been way outside my budget too.

My niece did fire up the old m400 to draw on last weekend and had a blast. It still has the (now unsupported) factory XP install on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.