TOsh M400 vs Fuj T4215

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by P8RSON, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dimi

Dimi Had M200 then M7 now ???

I need to buy a tablet PC this week. I have been reading all the threads and have narrowed it to the Toshiba M400 or the Fujitsu T4215 but I am open to something else. I had had a Toshiba M200 which I loved and a Toshiba M4 which was too big but otherwise OK. I use my tablet in convertible mode as a regular laptop most of the time but on airplanes I use it as a tablet because there is no longer room to open it the regular way. Money is not my big concern. I want performance, features, and a great accidental damage and on site warranty (the toshiba one is pretty good and costs about $300). I have been reading that the Fujitsu may be slightly better in features but I have read reviews that their service sucks. Also that the keyboard may not be up to snuff. I have already read most of the threads including one that compared these two but my issues weren't mentioned. Does anyone have direct experience to advise me? Thank you.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well I don't know where the heck you have read that Fujitsu's service 'sucks' (as you put it), as it is quite the opposite.

Fujitsu and Fujitsu Siemens are renowned for their excellence in Customer Service & Technical Support.
    The levels of both far, far exceed the service received from Toshiba.
    Further, where have you read the keyboard may not be 'up to stuff' (again your words)!
    The T4215 keyboard is a superb model and one which I would use far greater than the M400.

You can not have read that many threads because you would have found that the T4215 and Fujitsu/Fujitsu Siemens are spoken of very highly in both the levels of service and machine capability.
    This is against the M400 which is hampered by a poor level of service and 'certain' issues with the machine in general.

As an example, I've never known a platform to have so many problems with screen dust over the whole range and yet not rectify the problem.

3. arobulack

arobulack Pen Pal - Newbie

Admittedly I have not actually used a T4215, so I cannot state what the keyboard is like. However, as Dimi says, the most common criticism I've read in pretty much every review of the T4215, and its predecessor the T4210, is that its keyboard is "spongy" or "mushy." This is often in comparison to the Lenovo X60 keyboard which seems generally to be considered the standards-bearer in the technology press (though, again, never used it, so can't speak from experience).

4. P8RSON

Not in my experience.
    I have four T4210's and have used the T4215. All keyboards are superb and most certainly not 'spongy'.

Show me where there is criticism on the keyboard and I will bet there is evidence of incorrectness.

Besides... we are basing the M400 against the T4215... nothing to do with the Lenovo x60.

And to be truthful, how can you issue an opinion based on other peoples opinions where you have not tried the components yourself.

5. brosef stalin

brosef stalin Pen Pal - Newbie

I am personally considering getting a T4215 right now, and would choose it over the M400 for a couple of reasons. Most importantly, from what I've seen the M400 has pretty low battery life compared to the T4215. Specifically, one set of benchmarks put them as follows:

Code:
                 Playing a DVD      Word Processing      Reduced/low processor load       running time on one hour charge
    T4215:          3hrs                4.6hrs                       4.7hrs                            3.6hrs
    M400:          2.3hrs               3.1hrs                       3.2hrs                            1.3hrs

This becomes especially compelling if the optional auxillary drive battery is purchased, as times of up to 7 hours might be possible.

Here are the benchmarks I am quoting; they include the x60, the R1F, the TC440, and M7 as well. Sorry, but its all in German.
    [​IMG]

I've actually had a chance to use the T4215 in a Fry's, but not the stylus, and I didn't notice any significant problem with the keyboard, but as I said I didn't get much time with it.

Personally I'm torn between the T4215, the X60 and the gateway cx210x, but I won't derail this thread about them. (also my german is a little rusty, so if I misstranslated something, let me know)

6. P8RSON

Nice benchmark results there brosef and yes, it was a shame the column in blue was written in German.
    However, most of the columns are easily understood.

You are most welcome to start a new topic on this brosef.

Good luck with your search for the right Tablet PC.

Your translation appears to be faultless. :)

7. Dimi

Dimi Had M200 then M7 now ???

P8RSON: I truly appreciate your input. The concerns about service came from the top three posts on a CNET review. ONe gave a 10, the other two a 5 and 3. Both said it would have been a great tablet but both had out of the box problems and had to fight with Fujitsu to fix them (one said he had to live with the defective component). These are only two guys I realize, but I do know that some companies are great on honoring their warranties and some are not. I have used the Toshiba and Dell super duper warranties (the ones you pay extra for). BOth have given good telephone tech support and always sent a guy out for free to fix problems (including accidental damage). I guess I am asking if you have personal experience with Fujitsu on these issues. I notice that Fujitsu does not allow returns on BTO models (others charge a 15% restock but allow returns). Also their warranties appear more expensive (not a huge deal to me but these things make me wonder about how they treat people after the sale). Finally the accidental damage warranty says "screen breakage" not accidental damage. That makes me worry if you read the fine print they will give you a hard time if something breaks. THe quality of the extra warranty I pay for is my single greatest concern. Please let me know your experience on this and what you have specifically heard since you are obviously an expert as a moderator. Thank you.

8. P8RSON

Dimi,
    Over the years I have both liaised with Fujitsu & Fujitsu Siemens and have had considerable experience both with their hardware and other peoples issues.

Therefore, when I mention of these two companies I do so with the knowledge that has been built over a considerable period of time.

Fujitsu & Fujitsu Siemens are without doubt very high in their role of Customer Services and relationship.
    They pride themselves on getting matters sorted and keeping their customers satisfied.

I have absolutely no relationship with these companies other than to give my opinions to them on areas where I consider an improvement or at case if there has been any issues I take it to them in whole and without any impartiality.

As to the reviews you mention.
    With three reviews you mention from CNET of a scoring of 10, 5 & 3 is obviously a mixed review.
    I personally do not take stock with reviewers comments as these are made by people who only have the machines for a limited period of time or not fully conversed with all matters pertaining to the machines.
    These reviewers should visit forums such as here at TabletPCReview and obtain a more valuable and balanced opinion of how these machines operate.

By all means speak with other members here who can also give you their opinions on Fujitsu & Fujitsu Siemens.

9. gitar

gitar Pen Pal - Newbie

T4215 all the way

10. russki

russki Pen Pal - Newbie

Although I may not offer much in terms of the discussion of the two tablets, I can generally say that it's pretty much good idea to stay away from CNET as a technical review source. Both their staff and most of their users are generally inept, compared to communities such as this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.