Toolbar Creator - v. 2.2 beta available for download!

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Jun 27, 2014.

1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi surfaceproartist:

Thanks for reporting on the caption stuff.

Question #1: I don’t understand what you mean. Could you explain a bit more? So all buttons have the same activated icon? If yes, what does that icon look like?

Question #2: You can’t go back in the Designer thing once a toolbar has been designed (and I don’t intend to implement it because it would be a nightmare) but you can very easily manually modify the ini file for the toolbar. Once you know how to do it, manually adding/moving buttons is I think much easier than in ArtDock-like scripts. Here’s how to do it:
    1) Open the ini file of your toolbar (in the Files\Toolbars\ subfolder) in a text editor.
    2) At the top of this ini file are the general settings, followed by the settings for each button.
    3) The ninth general key is Button_Number. The value of Total_Buttons is the number of buttons on your toolbar. Make sure to modify this value if you change the number of buttons.
    4) Look at the first five settings for button 1. For the dummy toolbar I included, it looks like this:

Button1_Image =50x50
    Button1_XPosition=0
    Button1_YPosition=0
    Button1_Width=1
    Button1_Height=1

- The first setting is the name of the icon
    - The X and Y positions are row and column indicators starting at the top left corner of the toolbar. So this button here is at the top left corner. As you can see, in row 1, the indicator is zero. So a button with X = 2 and Y = 3 would be in the THIRD column (i.e. there are two buttons before it) and in the FOURTH row.
    - The Width and Height are the size multipliers for the button. So this button here is a 1x1 button.​
    5) You can thus manually modify these settings for any button, save the ini file then relaunch the toolbar with the exe file. Don’t forget to adjust Total_Buttons if you add/delete buttons.
    6) If you want to add a button: Increase the value of Total_Buttons by one (let’s say this now leads you to an eleventh button), and then you just have to adjust the first five settings of Button11. (Note that apart from these first settings, there are default values for all the other settings for Button11).​

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great to know about the .ini file. I'd already done some digging in there.

For the activated icon, we had a simple solid color key, similar to the highlight color you have on most of your icons, but instead of being able to read the letter, the color obscured it. Quick and dirty and it makes prototyping go just a bit faster. I notice your activated names are case sensitive too. Bleh. ;-)

3. lblb

Hi surfaceproartist:

You had me until “but instead of being able to read the letter, the color obscured it”. What do you mean by that?

Having one default activated icon is not possible right now (unless you replace and rename all your activated icons!) but I can add it easily as an option if you think that would be desirable. It obvisouly can make the creation of new icons less tedious!

As for the names, it’s not so much that the name of the activated icon is case sensitive as much as it’s got to match that of the unactivated icon. The name of the unactivated icon is read from the ini file and stored in a variable when the toolbar is launched, then when an activated icon is needed it just calls back that variable and adds an "a" at the end. So live with it dude! ;-)

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's what the down button looked like (remember most of our buttons were configured as touchkeys rather than toggles, so the color was only meant as a visual cue that a tap had been received):

AD_DownButton.jpg

So being able to set one activated button icon as a default would be great. And allowing you to use unique names for the activated icon would mean you could get away with downA.ico vs. having to rename it as downa.ico

And by the way, you're a genius. Keep up the great work.

5. lblb

Hey surfaceproartist,

Thanks for the support, it's really appreciated. As I'll probably never use this, I rely on users like you for suggestions on how to improve it.

I will probably add that function in an upcoming release but don't have time to fully code it in now. For now you can use the files in the attached zip file, I think they do what you want.

- Put Your_Toolbar.ahk in the main folder and use that to launch Toolbar Creator
    - Put the .ico file in the Files\Images\Activated subfolder
    - Put Customize_Toolbar.ahk and Presets.ahk in the Files\Includes\ subfolder (you'll need to replace the existing files)

Does that work like you want?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  6. lblb

Hey surfaceproartist,

Sorry I was away for a while and didn't get to work on this at all. Did you get a chance to test what I posted in the post above to see if it does what you wanted?

I'll be going on a very very long flight this Thursday so if you (or anyone else!) have any suggestions for Toolbar Creator, I expect to have quite a bit of time to work on it.

Cheers!

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hi Ibib, first off thank you for this great AutoHotkey mod! I think, given a bit of time, this is going to rival RadialMenu as a workflow/usability game-changer. :thumbsup:

I just want to add a small note to people just downloading v2.1 for the first time, you need to run as Admin for the hotkeys to registers in Photoshop CC.

Edit: Hey Ibib, when trying to assign a hotkey to a button in the Toolbar Options GUI, it can't seem to capture modified keystrokes, like "Ctrl-Z". It will capture "Ctrl" then overwrite with "Z".

Edit 2: The "TabTip" predefined action seems to be able to launch the Windows 8 keyboard but not close it.

Edit 3: Can you make slider buttons able to accept both horizontal and vertical button mappings (essentially 4-way slider). This will make it tidier for some slider buttons such as to nudge (vertical and horizontal) or change brush settings (size and opacity).

Edit 4: On a related note, maybe with just a bit a modification of the above feature, you could allow a 4-way toggle: For example, [drag up] = SHIFT toggle, [drag left] = CTRL toggle, [drag down] = ALT toggle, [drag left] = SPACE toggle.

Sorry this is turning into a bugs/feature request post :eek:.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  8. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey guys, is it really only me that's really missing visual clues for the right-click actions? :(

9. lblb

@Marty:

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, much appreciated. Keep ‘em coming!

1) Thanks for letting me know about the admin rights, I’ll see if I can make it run as admin by default.

2) You should be able to capture modified keystrokes if you are using a normal keyboard. Could it be that you are using the on-screen keyboard? In this case, I haven’t found a way yet for AHK to capture these modified keystrokes.

3) For the TabTip preset, does it hide/minimize it or does it do nothing? In Win 7, it actually docks it but cannot close it.

4) A 4-way slider sounds great. I’ll see what I can do about that and about the 4-way toggle.

@dream3:
    I haven’t had time to look into it, but that’s very much on my list of things to test.

Marty, dream3 and thewish like this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thanks Ibib!

1) No problem!

2) Yeah, I was using the Win8.1 OSK. For now, I guess for people without usb keyboard, just manually change the button settings in the toolbar .ini file.

3) It launches the Win8.1 OSK, but hitting it again just does nothing. You must close the OSK manually

4) Awesome!