Toolbar Creator - v. 2.2 beta available for download!

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Jun 27, 2014.

1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What do you mean that you have been using all possible keyboard shortcuts? Also, I'm not familiar with CUBASE, but are you using Toolbar Creator to send keyboard shortcuts to trigger functions that are native to CUBASE? Or did you define your own macros or keyboard shortcuts in CUBASE? Or something else?

2. Naiplak

Naiplak Pen Pal - Newbie

I created all keyboard shortcuts inside Cubase as I made many actions not available as factory XML presets.
    So in order to have about 280 actions in Cubase I hade to create many cominaison keys. But some special signs are not possible in Toolbar creator. So I guess I used all keyboard shortcuts possible on a PC keyboard. I will need a way yo unlock this to get about 500/600 keyboard shortcuts possible with Toolbar Creator. With this possibility I could create a new set of 280 touch buttons and have 2 touch Monitors side by side with 2 Toolbar Creator Templates at the same time.

3. lblb

@Naiplak

So are you limited by what you can use in Cubase? My guess would be that you will run into hotkey limits in Cubase much faster than in Toolbar Creator (which is limited by what you can do in AutoHotkey, which allows a lot of hotkeys!)

For example, in Toolbar Creator you can use as the basis for the hotkeys any of the 26 letters, the 10 numbers, F1-F20 (while there is F1-F12 on a keyboard, Windows recognizes up to F20), and several special characters and other keys (such as Home, Page Up, [, numpad4, etc.). Not even counting the last category and sticking to letters + numbers + F1-F12, that gives you 48 simple keys. Then each key can be modified by either one, two, three or four modifiers among Ctrl, Shift, Alt, Windows. So just for the letter "a", you find:
    a
    Ctrl + a
    Shift + a
    Alt + a
    Win + a
    Ctrl + Shift + a
    Ctrl + Alt + a
    Ctrl + Win + a
    Shift + Alt + a
    Shift + Win + a
    Alt + Win + a
    Ctrl + Shift + Alt + a
    Ctrl + Shift + Alt + Win + a

Of course, there are combinations that you don't want or can't use (for example, Win + F19 is the click of the Windows Surface eraser pen button and you probably want to leave that alone, and there are many hotkeys native to Windows that you can't override), but you should be able to use way more than 280 hotkeys in Toolbar Creator. (However, you may need to edit your toolbar files manually to do so, in which case I would be happy to help you.)

Does that help?

Naiplak likes this.
  4. Naiplak

Naiplak Pen Pal - Newbie

waouh great, I never thought of some of your key stroke combinaisons. I am gonna try some of the ones you just gave me and I will get back to you.

5. Naiplak

Naiplak Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I verified, Cubase from Steinberg doesn't allow you to use 'Win' key stroke at all, so I will be limited with my wish to have 2 Toolbar creator templates of 2x 280 actions for Cubase at the same time. Also 'letters + numbers + F1-F12' as you suggested are not possible with Cubase from Steinberg.
    So I have reached the limit of what can be achieved within Cubase + Toolbar Creator unless I switch back and forth with 2 Cubase shortcut personal templates using different actions associated to the same short key combinaisons wihich nobody will want of course.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  6. lblb

@Naiplak

Sorry for the late reply as I was away.

Indeed, it looks like Cubase will limit you, and from the following link that indeed the Win key is not usable:
    https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_a...mands/key_commands_adding_or_modifying_t.html

That being said, using Crtl and Alt and Shift will probably allow more than 350 combinations. Which mean you might get away with 280 +100, or something like that, which is not bad!

If you wanted to explore something else, the menu in Cubase (at least in Cubase Elements 9 that I just installed) is a classic Windows menu, which means that any command in its main menu can be triggered directly by commands instead of hotkeys. So any command that you can see in the main menu File, Edit.... and all associated submenus can be triggered directly without using a hotkey. So that could potentially free up a lot of hotkeys for you.

In any case, let me know if you are interested in exploring this direction.

7. lblb

@Naiplak
    Sounds good, might be easier to continue the discussion by email.