Toolbar Creator - v. 2.2 beta available for download!

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Jun 27, 2014.

1. moniz

moniz Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, I am running Powerpoint 2016 on a Surface Pro 4 with 64 bit Windows 10. To switch to the arrow pointer I am using a type 1 button and the hotkey ctrl-A.

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@moniz

Thanks for the information.
    I'm guessing you are using the mouse. and that's why you want to go back to the cursor? (Because if you only use pen and touch, it always differentiates between the two.)

To go back to the cursor, try creating then assigning the following command (as you may be able to appreciate, in these codes PointerType := 1 means the arrow, and PointerType := 2 means the pen.)

Code:
    PPT_Pointer:
    Try
        {
        WinActivate, ahk_class screenClass ahk_exe POWERPNT.EXE
        ppt := ComObjActive("PowerPoint.Application")
        MyView := ppt.ActivePresentation.SlideShowWindow.View
        MyView.PointerType := 1
        ppt:=""
        }
    Return

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  3. moniz

moniz Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks very much, With a couple tweaks I was able to get this to work. Odd thing is, it works intermittently. To be clear, I'm not using the mouse, just the surface tablet with keyboard and touchpad removed. Picture a powerpoint slide in a show and on it is an embedded video or animation. To play the video I need to use the arrow pointer to click on the play button (all using the stylus). So I write with ink on slide, then switch to arrow pointer, then back to ink. I have buttons for different color ink pens, laser pointer, highlighter, new slide, volume, slide advance, etc. All this works flawlessly. It is just the arrow pointer button that is unreliable (even with script above). Sometimes it works on the first click but usually it takes multiple (sometimes many) clicks. Perhaps a timing issue? A conflict with windows or the surface system? Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

4. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@moniz

Sounds like you now have a fine setup for your presentations!

Thanks for the explanations, I understand what you mean now. Unfortunately, I think what you are trying to do will be difficult because in newer versions of PPT, they REALLY want you to use the pen for inking! In fact, I am a bit surprised the two codes even work sporadically: on my version of PPT 365, I am completely unable to get the arrow pointer on the pen. (By the way, this is new to PPT 2016/365, and in previous versions the pen was just detected as a mouse.) So when I want to start a video, I use touch input (which might be an option that also works for you?)

But if you say you are having some amount success when you repeatedly click the button, maybe you could try sending the command a few times for one buttin press. For example, in the previous code, you could have it send the "change cursor" command three times if in the previous code you replaced
    Code:
    with
    Code:
    Loop, 3

You could also see if repeating the command, but inserting a slight delay between repeats (in the example below, I set the delay to 20 ms), works better:
    Code:
    Loop, 3
    {
    Sleep, 20
    }

5. robinv

robinv Pen Pal - Newbie

Every now and again I try to find other Toolbars and utilities that make the Surface Pen usable outside of art software. There's nothing - nothing out there except Toolbar Creator. I find it unbelievable that other users are happy to map copy/paste to the buttons on the pen... and that's it. Having a toolbar of shortcuts is so fundamentally useful, so key to any kind of enjoyable workflow - what are people doing out there? Even Dell's Canvas screen with the custom software doesn't seem to have prompted Microsoft to add anything similar to the Surface Pen controls.

Anyway - keep on going lblb, it's still the greatest pen companion out there and maybe the only one. I'm going to be featuring it in my next round of videos on running DAWs on the Surface Pro 2017.

Thanks again for a great piece of software.
    http://www.surfaceproaudio.com

6. moniz

moniz Pen Pal - Newbie

Ibib, very clever - it worked! I had to include the repetition and delay. A short delay like 20 wasn't enough but 5 repetitions with 200 ms delays made it quite reliable. Probably something less would suffice. I have no idea why this works but thanks for the suggestion.