Toolbar Creator - v. 2.2 beta available for download!

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Jun 27, 2014.

1. mar czar

mar czar Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. Its very useful, adding new quality to work flow on surface book, Microsoft should learn from this thread and add fully featured program that work same way as this tool bar in their surface book 2 and pro 5, that will be good for theirs machines... Ok, I have question, and maybe suggestion for future update, I wish to have option to edit existing toolbar each button size, position etc. as at this moment even I clone one, still don't have option to edit buttons, which mean I have need to start new all over again when I need change in example if want joint button nr 1 and 2 into one or change positioning of them etc. I mean I wish to have edit option, as you always have to know exact how many buttons, what format and position you need when you starting create new bar... Or maybe Im missing this option? Also can you spread to 30x 50x50pix option in each column (now Im able to do 20 each column)? I wish to create tool bar that is dock to left, and have one column on left side from up to down my monitor that has 3000x2000 resolution and 30 in each column will be just right to match size of default size of tool bar in illustrator... in this way, would be able to turn off original tool bar, and based on its icons recreate my own bar with added buttons from short cuts... that will be great, any advices? I will update with pictures what I mean and what is my idea of this tool bar so you have visualisation as it may be hard to understand ;)
    Another question/suggestion, would be great after assign tool bar to work with specific program, that when program is minimalize (or close) tool bar will fallow program, and minimise or close same time...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@mar czar

Thanks for the suggestions. Your two main suggestions have actually been made several times and if I ever find time to update Toolbar Creator, they sure will be included in there.

For your second suggestion of showing/hiding the toolbar depending on the active program, that is currently not possible. Although if you use the toolbar with only one program, it wouldn't be much trouble to write up something for it. Let me know if that might be of interest (but again, would really mostly work if you use the toolbar with only one program).

For your first suggestion, indeed modifying an existing toolbar can be difficult. There is no way to do it automatically through the Options, but there is a manual way to do it. Learning how to do it might be a bit difficult at first, but once you know how to do it I think you would find it pretty straightforward to come up with your 30-button toolbar. If you are interested, look at section 4 of the pdf file containing "Advanced Instructions" that is available on the first post of this thread. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help.

3. mar czar

mar czar Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks,
    Its just suggestions, I get how programs work and its pretty great. I wish to have option for edit existing tool bar or at least copy existing setting to new tool bar but with edit window pop up. That's not a big deal. I start working on integral illustrator tool bar, but instead of remaking whole I decide I will just add extra buttons under exiting tool bar, Ive done undo and redo for now, look like it was originally there what I like :) will fill it with all short cuts and share later. Can I set up on one button command to switch to another available toolbar (or even specified)? Thanks!
    Untitled-1-02.png

4. lblb

@mar czar

Your toolbar looks great and integrates very seamlessly with the real toolbar! Great job!

Unfortunately, in the current version of Toolbar Creator the only way to switch to another toolbar is through the main menu or the tray icon.

Your suggestion about editing an existing toolbar has been noted down. In the meantime, let me know if you need any help to do it manually as described in the pdf file.

5. bomelino

bomelino Pen Pal - Newbie

hi. i'm trying to wrap my head around the configuration file. Is there a tutorial on how this works?
    The included pdf only mentions the changes but not the configuration.

are there any example toolbars for photoshop you could link on the first page? this would be very helpful.

I'm just trying to make a button that sends Ctrl Alt Z (to make a step backwards in photoshop)

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's the walkthrough I wrote a few years ago. Hope it helps.

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2014/10/12/toolbar-creator-makes-custom-artdocks-easy

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. TE7

TE7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just found Toolbar Creator. I have to say that this this is a great application and I already have allot of plans to use it.
    I mainly use CAD software on PC and I can't imagine my work without keyboard shortcuts and toolbars.

I'd like to suggest solution to access multiple toolbars as it is shown on the video bellow.
    If something like that could be implemented it would make Toolbar Creator our dream come true.

Thank you lblb for the time and effort you have put into this amazing application.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. lblb

@bomelino
    Sorry, I was away for a couple of days. Let me know if you still have questions, I'd be happy to help.

@TE7
    I'm glad you like it! Is there supposed to be a video in your post? In any case, are you trying to use multiple toolbars at once? If yes, you can try having more than one folder for Toolbar Creator and starting different instances of the exe file. Let me know if that's not what you are looking for or if you need any help.

9. TE7

TE7 Pen Pal - Newbie

It looks like moderator didn't approve file attachment.
    Here is Dropbox link to download it.

We are using multiple toolbars at once and I'm already working to set them up.
    Our software was recently "upgraded" to dull gray on gray ribbons interface that everyone absolutely hates. All colors are banished from the icons and they all look same to me now.
    To access any command we now have to scroll endlessly left and right to find it. I can see how this can work for MS Office users as they probably don't access many commands frequently as we do.

One of our main tools used to be multi-layered toolbar that you'll see in video. That is now replaced with completely non-user friendly interface where we have to use search to access any command.
    We also work in 2 environments within the same application - model & drawing and both have different toolbars. This will allow us to switch toolbars on the fly when we switch work environment.

PS - I'll be happy to donate to you or any cause you support as appreciation for what you have done.

10. lblb

@TE7
    Using multiple instances of Toolbar Creator might help you get to something like what you need. Not ideal (especially when starting all the instances at once), but at least it may help you. If that's what you decide to use, I can also help you write a short program that could be used to launch the different instances all at once, and maybe even create something like a separate toolbar that would allow you to easily show/hide the different Toolbar Creator toolbars.

If you want something more like what's in the video, or if you need something more practical than multiple instances of Toolbar Creator, we can continue the private discussion you started. If you expect to always use the same toolbars and don't expect to change the toolbars once they have been designed, designing a solution for your needs from scratch (i.e., without using Toolbar Creator) could be a viable alternative (coding a toolbar from scratch is super easy, it's creating the interface to make it possible for users to create their own toolbars that makes Toolbar Creator very complex). Any way, just PM me if you would be interested in exploring other possible solutions.