Toolbar Creator - v. 2.2 beta available for download!

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Jun 27, 2014.

1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi reloaded,

1) Nice Ryan! Is that from the movie Drive?

2) Just so you understand my comments below, I can tell you that, somewhat ironically, I am not an artist. I never have used, and probably never will use, these toolbars with art programs (but I do use them with plenty of other types of programs). That's why I rely so much on the input of users to improve these toolbars.

3) I understand what you say. Depending on what your purpose is, these toolbars can be very inferior or very superior to the ArtDock-like scripts. All depends.

4) That being said, I'm a bit surprised by what you mentioned. I fully understand how using any kind of keyboard may be better than using this kind of toolbar (although when you're on the go, carrying a keyboard thing may not be very practical), but I'm puzzled by what you say about holding down modifiers like Alt and Shift. Again, I don't use these toolbars for art programs so maybe what I'm saying is irrelevant. I was under the impression that the well-known program called Modlock has been used for many years by tablet PC artists for exactly what you are describing. This Toolbar Creator thing can essentially be used as a kind of Modlock-on-steroids, so I think your intended usage may be entirely possible (again, I may be wrong).
    When you go in the Options and customize the different buttons, have you tried setting the buttons to types 3 or 4 (which are essentially more customizable versions of the main functions in Modlock). In my hands, I have found these types of buttons to be more useful than the modifiers in ArtDock (where you have to keep your finger on the button the whole time to keep the modifier pressed) since you can just hit the button once (with your finger if you want) to hold down a modifier, then hit it again to release it. Button type 4 is the same except that the modifier is released automatically after a set delay. Both types 3 and 4 have apparently proven to be very useful for the kind of stuff you mention.

5) But hey, I fully understand if these toolbars don't correspond to your needs. Someone more knowledgeable than me will hopefully one day figure out how to adapt Koide's scripts to all platforms.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  2. reloaded

reloaded Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! Yes, that's Ryan from Drive. I do color studies from movie frames for practice. I don't sample the colors, but try and figure out what they are. The sampling comes in once I start painting and need to blend.

Totally understand not being an artist. These machines were most likely meant to be used in offices and hospitals to try and get the mass distribution. If you are a corporation, that is where the financial numbers are. The whole battle of using Ntrig and Wacom on these doesn't remotely come from the art community, it comes from the desire to provide a device that feels like writing when taking notes, or signing documents for business use. Us artists are trying our best to hijack it, and Microsoft is really the first company to attempt to market as a side benefit (although not directly).

That idea for using your toggles could work. The issue is I can't seem to get either the pen or my finger to work with the buttons when Photoshop is up. I can maybe get one button press, and then it stops responding. So even if it's a lag issue, we punch hotkeys so fast and so often that make it difficult as well.

I can't get the sliders to work at all. With my finger or the pen. It also seems like it would be helpful if the sliders could draw options from the other buttions. For example on slider up, repeat hotkey x times, at x rate. Or toggle on slider up, etc. I also had difficulties with creating hotkeys like "Ctrl++" which is zoom in Photoshop. I can do Ctrl and + but the next press clears it and enters only a +. I imagine that would be difficult though, because a "zoom" if used on a slider (top zoom in, bottom zoom out), you would have to keep pushing the slider because the action wont repeat by holding the finger in the up stroke. Mouse scroll should do the same thing, but again I can't get the slider to work to test.

I'm not familiar with Modlock. Art Dock is about as far as I have gone. Previous when using Tablet PC's I've always just used my Nostromo to punch hotkeys, but it means one hand is away from the screen. At least its not in a awkward position like using a keyboard to press alt and try and paint with the other hand over it at the same time.

Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond. It really is a neat tool and done on your own time to! I'm sure there are a lot of folks who use these for a much wider range of daily use that are very grateful for the thought you are putting into it.

3. lblb

Yeah, as a professor, for me a tablet PC is pretty much only useful to ink on pdf files (which I do a lot).

I'm still puzzled that you can't use the toolbars reliably.

- Could it be that you haven't associated your toolbar to Photoshop? Toolbar Creator comes with three toolbars. If you switch to thatcomicsguy's toolbar using the menu, can you use the buttons on there reliably? (By the way, the zoom buttons on this toolbar should do what you mentioned in your previous post.)

- This is the first time I've heard of these toolbars simply not working (although this may not mean much as there are numerous downloads but very few comments and feedback). Maybe you need to run the toolbar as administrator or tweak your security settings. If you right-click on the exe for the toolbar and select "run as administrator" (is that even possible in Win 8?), does it work better?

4. thewish

thewish Pen Pal - Newbie

Just stumbled across this thread searching for updated artdocks that will work with a wider range of tablet pc's, and I'm thrilled! I haven't had a chance to try this (at work right now), but this looks perfect, and exactly what I have been looking for. I have a Thinkpad Yoga, so the artdock that the SP2 users are familar with has never worked for me, and I have been using the old Modlock toolbar (which is great, but very limited) in combination with a simple script to kill the touch screen while I work on art. Am I correct in understanding that this will work similar to the modlock tool, ie tap the on screen key with your pen to activate the hotkey/modifier? Can't thank you enough lblb (and Dream3&thatcomicsguy's) for all the work you have done on this :)

5. lblb

Hi thewish,

Yes, this should work as a kind of version of Modlock on steroids. Every button is customizable and you can do more than hold modifiers or send hotkeys. In the current version you can have up to 20 buttons (in two columns) + 3 buttons on the top row. In the new version that is almost ready (I'm just hunting down the bugs right now) you can add up to 100 buttons of different sizes and are not limited to two columns. More soon (hopefully) on this.

Also, if you're interested in software to toggle touch on/off, maybe you can look into Tray Touch Toggle in the first post here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/software/56322-apps-tablet-pc.html

6. reloaded

I'm going to give this another shot and change my mentality. I don't have experience with modlock, but you make some good points on using the toggles lblb. I think I can decrease the button size and move it around like a palette next to my image I'm painting so my hand doesn't have to travel that far to work toggles.

Not sure why I can't get it to run properly or how to specifically associate it with Photoshop. I just used your default toolbar instead of the other two "photoshop" specific ones to modify, with the assumption that it was just doing key inputs not anything specific tied to an .exe, just the arrangement of the hotkeys seemed to change according to the menu that was set up for the specific program.

Do you think there is any issue with how I have the sliders set up to go 40 pixels? Maybe that is not enough on a high resolution screen. Maybe that slider amount is way to low so that is why it seems like it's not working. I'll look closer at how the other two photoshop ones are set up, but I also want to use this for Z brush, so hopefully I can understand how to tie to a specific program if that is what is needed.

I'll run it again and see if I can't get more specific input. Looking forward to the next version.

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We're standing by to help!

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

WHAT?!? How did I miss this??

lblb, AMAZING work. I have no time to test yet, but I can't wait to check out your project.

So psyched you finally got around to it, you've been talking about this baby for some time!

9. reloaded

So it turns out I was using it wrong and that is why it wasn't working. On the high resolution screens setting the slider to around 150 pixels instead of 40 makes them work.

Now I'm just wondering if I can add mouse functions to the hot key commands. I noticed in the "Your Toolbar.ahk" on line 818, there is a mod key list and below a keylist. In that list are the mouse buttons on 840, but they look like they are commented out.

My problem is with the Ntrig device and pen I don't get to control how mouse functions work with the buttons. There is a "right click" on the pen but it doesn't seem to work. For programs like 3DS Max and Zbrush I need middle mouse and right click.

For Photoshop CS6 it looks like the only way to hotkey something like "brush opacity" is either by pressing number keys (which take up waaaay too many options on a palette) or by using shift + alt + right click cursor up down gesture. Works fine with the mouse, but doesn't work with the pen. So I need to send it through script as a button if possible.

But it won't let me record the right click. But I did find that I could copy and past it in the box, but it won't "stick". When I return the box just goes back to the previous default. I've attached an image of what I'm trying to do if it helps. And I apologize to everyone else that has to follow along, but maybe some of this is helpful? Mouse Action.jpg

10. reloaded

Or would what I'm trying to do here work better as a "Predefined" action? And how do I make a new pre defined action? I tried to look at the scripts, but they are little beyond what I understand.