Toolbar Creator - v. 2.2 beta available for download!

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Jun 27, 2014.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can confirm that the Toolbar Creator definitely works on the Surface Pro 3.

Scaling issues in the options window have been corrected. It would still be nice to be able to resize the options panel though.

For a future update, please consider allowing buttons to span multiple columns or rows. This is helpful for rocker buttons. Also, it would be great to create additional columns of buttons.

I'd like to be able to scale the buttons in Row 30 and have the other row buttons scale accordingly.

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi surfaceproartist,

I’m glad it works for the Surface Pro 3, just report back here if you encounter any problems.

And thanks a lot for the suggestions:

- I would also eventually like the Options window to be resizable and to be able to maximize the window. But for now, since I’m constantly changing a lot of stuff it’s just not practical to implement. But I’ll see later what can be done.

- Having buttons of differing width and height is a great suggestion. It would entail a major rewrite of the code so I may not be able to include that any time soon though.

- I understand how having larger buttons may be helpful for rocker buttons. If you look in the button customization options, you will see that the buttons can be set to Slider Buttons (Type 6), which is a slider button that I think is kind of similar to what you are referring to. It repeatedly sends commands when moving the stylus up or down. If you try one you will see that you actually don’t need a larger button though as it ignores what is under the mouse while you are moving up or down. So “the whole screen height” can be used as the slider.

- As for adding more columns: I had initially started with ten columns and ten rows of buttons so it’s definitely doable, although it would necessitate a different way of handling the data for each button. In the end, I reverted to just two columns because no one in the Photoshop Toolbar thread has asked for something with more than 20 buttons or more than two rows (apart from some very specific stuff that Steve B and I have been developing). But if there is enough demand for more columns, I could certainly try to implement it.

- I’m not sure what you mean by being able to scale Row 30: wouldn’t that just be the same as what happens when you resize the toolbar through the Options?

3. surfaceproartist

I'm trying to design the toolbar to be primarily for touch: so you can do button presses with your free hand while the pen stays put on your canvas. I've scaled the buttons up to 100, which is a great size for my finger tips. Since row 30 has three icons, they don't scale to the same size as the rest. So I'm wondering if you could scale row 30 and have the other buttons follow. Or, alternatively, lose one of the buttons on row 30?

Here's a look at an ArtDock we did for Mudbox. It's 4 columns x 7 rows (although I think the first three rows are somewhat taller than the other buttons).

mudboxToolbar.jpg

4. surfaceproartist

@lblb, in the ArtDocks I've published, the slider buttons can have three functions (upkey, downkey and touchkey). For example, the button below loads, saves or creates a new project:

Is there a way to set the touchkey value in Toolbar Creator?

5. lblb

Hi surfaceproartist,

The touchkey function is currently not available in Toolbar Creator but I can probably easily include it in a future release. Thanks for the suggestion. I can also include horizontal slider buttons (what you call rockers) if that would be of interest. As I mentioned before, any suggestion to make it more useful is welcome!

On a different note:
    Your last message about designing your own toolbar with buttons of different sizes got my brain itching... My main concern with such a system is that I really want Toolbar Creator to be as straightforward as possible to use for anyone who doesn't have any programming knowledge. It took me a while to figure out a good enough system to let a user design his own toolbars but I think the system I came up with could be useful. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts (or anyone else's) about it.

Here is the link to a Designer thing (uploaded in a zip file on Mediafire.com):

Designer

- Just extract the folder from the zip file and install it anywhere on your computer.
    - If you have AutoHotkey installed (it's necessary to test this), just double-click on the file Designer.ahk.
    - You can drag and drop the buttons of different size on the 10 x 10 canvas. To remove a button, just right-click on it.
    -> Make sure to start your toolbar in the left-most column, otherwise you'll have some black spaces on the left.
    -> As I'm just trying to demonstrate the principle, I have not attached any commands to the buttons except a function that says what the button number is. In addition, just so you can move your new toolbar around, I've attached to the blue 1x1 buttons the command to move the toolbar so you may want to include one of those in your toolbar.​
    - When you've created the toolbar you want, just hit "Create Toolbar" and a toolbar will be created.

This is just a test version of something that I could include in the next major update of Toolbar Creator (I would just add a "Design a new toolbar" button somewhere in the options). Right now it creates a dummy independent toolbar, but once it's in Toolbar Creator, you would just hit "Create toolbar" and a new toolbar would be created to be customized in Toolbar Creator like any other toolbar. It would be fully customizable and you could resize it, set hotkeys and button images, set the type of button, etc.

What do you think? Would something like this be useful for what you had in mind? Apart from the button sizes that I've included, would any other button sizes be useful (maybe 2x3 and 3x2?) Other comments, suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    steven likes this.
  6. surfaceproartist

Wow! This sounds great. I'll download and test right away.

7. surfaceproartist

Just played with Designer and it's very cool. This will make toolbar creation much easier. One note: the 4x4 button is actually 2x2. I don't think you'd want to build anything bigger than 3x3. That takes up an awful lot of screen real estate. But 2x3 and 3x2 should definitely be added.

I've attached our most recent Mudbox ArtDock. It's four columns x seven rows, but bottom two rows are taller. I don't mind rethinking the proportions, but without the touchkey function it has to be redone anyway.

Screenshot (61).jpg

8. lblb

Hi surfaceproartist,

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed, it should be 2x2! The numbers were a late-at-night addition... And I'll add in the 2x3's as you suggested.

Your Mudbox ArtDock panel looks great. You won't be able to adjust the height of individual buttons in Toolbar Creator (maybe I can make it so that you can edit the file manually), and hopefully I can include touchkey functions. I think I will include an option to select what image format to use, but I may not be able to provide icons for each format. We'll see.

9. surfaceproartist

Credit Alex Cheparev for the icons. I just rearranged his images into this more compact format.

Editing the file manually would be really helpful for tweaking. Theoretically we could insert the touchkey function that way?

Image format wasn't an issue once you introduced me to Format Factory. What an amazing tool. It did take me a little while to figure out that icons needed to have a corresponding Activated versions.

You'll have to think about how a button responds if it has a touchkey setting. (It would need to quickly cycle the activated icon on and off, I suppose).

10. lblb

When I implement the Designer thing into Toolbar Creator, I'll have to change the coding quite a bit so I'll see what can be done at that time about making it easier to manually edit the settings file. For the touchkey setting, since it's not coded in yet it's not possible to manually tweak it now. But once I've added it to the code, it will be as easy to modify through the Options as all the other stuff. As for the way the button will react for touchkey, I can probably have it react as it does for a normal button, but you're right, I'll have to think about it.