Today's entry in the VivoTab Note cable failure roulette - the Display Cable!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Solrax, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

Let's spin the wheel and see what today's winner is in the VivoTab cable failure roulette!

Tickticktick tick tick tick And it's the display cable!

Yes folks, you may be a winner - here's how to tell - you turn on your tablet but nothing is showing on the display. None of the tricks to do a restart or reset work, holding the power button to force a reboot, holding with volume key to go to BIOS work, the tablet appears dead. The power LED responds but that is all. If in a dark enough area you notthat the display backlight is on,

In my case after some time of this and having resigned that I am going to have to RMA it, I did realize that the backlight was on (at first I was in a somewhat bright room). So, just for fun, I was pressing on the display, and the back of the case, looking at the pretty colors the LCD made when pressed hard when suddenly - the display flicked on and off again. Having seen that and realizing the tablet was actually running, I pressed and massaged as we are all getting used to. I was able to zero in on a spot just under the "A" in Asus on the back of the tablet, the display would flicker, come on, sometimes garble a bit.

So off came the back again:
    M80T_DisplayCable.png

That gold cable seems to be the display cable. As you can see, it is also kinked. This cable is more troublesome than the pen or digitizer cable, as its connector is on the bottom of the motherboard and the other end disappears under the battery. Fiddling with it made the display go on and off, but there didn't seem to be an obvious way to fix it. And I doubt very much it is an off-the-shelf cable I can find at Digikey, I don't even know what to look for. I did unscrew the motherboard and look around, but the battery doesn't want to pop out easily (I was reluctant to use much force because I am undoubtedly going to have to RMA this thing at some point). The best I was able to figure out in my case was that a lot of pressure on the cable seemed to make the display stay on. So I put a post-it note over the cable (taped to the battery) for insulation, and a couple of layers of thin foam that still is enough to put pressure on the cable and put it back together. No picture of that ugly mess! Note that the back case seems to have a thin foam for most of the battery (heat conducting for cooling?) and copper over the motherboard. I made sure that my hack did not overlap either of these areas.

I cannot vouch for this repair, it has only been 1/2 day. But if you find your tablet doesn't seem to turn on anymore no matter what you do, check it in a dark area, if your backlight is on you may have the same problem I do, and you might be able to restore the display for long enough to pull some files off, disable accounts, or whatever you want to do before RMA'ing it. In my case I want it to last until I pick up either a Surface 3, new Helix 2, Yoga 2 (or 3) or maybe Thinkpad 10 (haven't decided between these yet), at which point I will remove my repairs and RMA it.

On more thing, in my case this seems to be the result of jostling or pressure from being in my messenger bag when I walk. Despite it being in a VersaSleeve and my bag being padded, inevitably there is pressure on it, and this tablet seems too weak and delicate to take much at all.

Anyway, I hope someone who sees similar problems finds this helpful.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    2.0™, JoeS, Dave47 and 3 others like this.
  2. Dave47

Dave47 Pen Pal - Newbie

To me, if they give a hoot, Asus should realize the errors of their ways with this product and release version 2 or a completely redesigned new product. By now, with the RMA data they surely/maybe digest somewhere, this "should" be obvious. Should be.

Solrax likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Asus should rot in hell.:vbmad: And, yes, I'm having a bad tech day.

4. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

I hear you. Asus has gone from being one of my favorite and most trusted tech companies to one that I will almost certainly never buy from again. After experiencing their bad design/build quality on this and my previous tablet, and their incompetent tech support, why on earth would I buy a router or another motherboard from them, or god forbid a laptop. At this point I'll even buy Dell first and I'm a firm believer in "friends don't let friends buy Dell".

5. Dayas

Dayas Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear all,

I need help finding this cable!

I can't rely on the RMA since I purchased this item on a trip to the US, and this cable started to give me problems just as stated above, but now it seems to be cut and no amount of pressure brings it back.

So please your help on identifying this cable and a place to purchase it

6. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you called Asus? This cable is almost certainly an Asus part, so it will be expensive (the Asus equivalent of the digitizer cable was like $30-40 compared to the $4 cost from Digikey). And the repair itself will be much more difficult than the digitizer/touch panel fixes, with more chance of damaging the tablet. I'd talk to Asus and see what they say before trying to repair this yourself even if you can find the cable.

EDIT - OK found this link but darned if any of those cable descriptions shouts "Display Cable" at me. http://www.asusparts.eu/en/partfinder/Asus/Notebook/M Series/M80TA
    And it looks like the Asus digitizer cable isn't that expensive after all.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  7. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Bumpity... I'm starting to have problems with mine.

Also one thing... for those who's having display issues, do you also have Wi-Fi issues? Seems like a coincidence, but right before my display cable failed. I started getting Wi-Fi issues first.

And on a second thought, I don't TOTALLY blame Asus for all these flex cable issues. The relentless pursuit for thinner devices have a play in this. But then the back cover being less than rigid also have something to do with it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  8. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

On the Asus parts list, the display cable should be one of the FPC entries. FPC stands for "flexible printed circuit." LVDS display cables in small devices have this designation.

The 3 listed are the same cable. This one might be the latest revision of the cable:

M80TA_FPC_S_R2.0
    Partnumber: 08201-00791200

You probably won't be able to find something like this on Digikey since these cables tend to be proprietary. But if you Google the part number, you should be able to find other third party sellers.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    Solrax, Dave47 and Mesosphere like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.