To Upgrade or Buy New...?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spartikiss, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yestim

yestim Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm considering similar upgrades on my C-140x.
    This actually is the fastest CPU our chipset supports:
    Core 2 Extreme X9000 (6M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)

you can see the entire list of supported CPUs here:
    http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=28116

make sure to get the micro-FCPGA version of any CPU you get.
    (Not the micro-FCBGA which requires soldering)
    [notice it's ..P.. not ..B.., as in Socket P)

I'm curious if the 4gb intel turbo memory works.

Report on the progress of all your updates!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. clads01

clads01 Pen Pal - Newbie

While I believe you that the chipset supports the X9000, doesn't the BIOS/motherboard also have to provide support (support the chipset support?) for the CPU to work? Also, based on your link, the X9000 pushes out ~20% more heat than the CPUs shipped with the C-140s -- the design of the tablet may not be capable of handling this extra heat properly.

The fastest/best CPU I've seen reported to work on these forums is the T9500 (I think).

3. gaidensensei

gaidensensei Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you know what chipset the E295 motherboard based on? Is it the PM965?
    I have been scouring the net everywhere coming up empty handed - though I don't own a C-140X/XL at the moment.

The bios most likely needs to be flashed to the latest version for whatever update was last done, but seeing how the company is now adopted, the latest bios update is probably going to be the last. Unfortunately, gateway did not feel like writing the update release notes with their bios, so it's left to us to put it together.

I have dug up that the C-140X/XL operates on Socket P architecture, and the highest available CPU's (not necessarily supported) for for those are the T9###, X9###, and E8###.

So if the highest has been reported to be a T9500, there are still a few from that category that can supposedly be supported if the bios handles it, but I doubt it though - the last release date was on Sept-3-2008 and that covers all the T9's except the T9800 & T9900 (both released after the latest bios update). I put that together by observing here

One thing I have to point out, although this is just my opinion - it would defeat the purpose of a tablet if you are to upgrade it to the maximum potential, because obviously more 'pc power' requires more battery life to support it.

If it was to be used the way it was intended for, you are looking at a penalty to mobility in return.

4. yestim

yestim Pen Pal - Newbie

These indeed have the PM965 OR the 965GM. I believe these two are nearly identical except the GM version has the integrated graphics card while the PM has no integrated graphics. (Gateway puts in the ati mobility radeon 2300 as the graphics card for the PM965 version.) Yes these are socket P. The bus speed is 800MHz max, so you cannot use the fastest socket P cpus which require a faster bus speed.
    The link in my last post shows all the cpus that would work (in theory).
    http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=28116

The fastest chip ever installed by gateway was the T8300.
    (core2duo 2.4ghz 3Mcache) [original cpu in c-143x / c-143xl]

The T9500 has been successfully installed by people on this forum.
    (core2duo 2.6ghz 6Mcache)
    [as the intel chart shows in the link, this has the same TDP wattage as the factory shipped T8300. This means the laptop will surely deal with the heat. Users in this forum have said this works with no problems, bios or otherwise.]

The X9000 is the fastest that might work.
    (core2extreme 2.8ghz 6Mcache)
    [as clads01 pointed out: This cpu has a higher TDP, which means it runs hotter. It is unknown if the laptop's cooling system would be sufficient. It is also unknown if the bios would properly deal with it. We won't know for sure until someone tries it I guess. Since it is more expensive and only barely better than the T9500, I doubt this will happen anytime soon.]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Talesin

Talesin Noodle!

Just FYI, the biggest problem with a 64 as opposed to a 32-bit OS is driver support; for the moment, 64-bit drivers are second-best to most manufacturers.. an also-ran. With the C-14x series, since Vista Ultimate x64 was provided on the 143XL, you can generally get away with the older drivers (most Vista drivers work perfectly with 7 from what I've seen, aside from one Logitech webcam driver).

Software support should be a non-issue; W7 installs 32-bit programs into a 'Program Files (x32)' directory, and I haven't had any issues with any software suites; failing all else, there are compatability modes to specify exactly what the program wants/needs.

Going the same route here as far as upgrading; planning on a T9500 when I can afford it.. the actual upgrade is simple for anyone who is used to working in even desktop machines. Five minutes, tops, so long as you remember the thermal paste (and maybe some new thermal pads if you're paranoid) while you're at the store.

Video card drivers, take a look at MobilityModder; lets you install the official ATi drivers on a 'proprietary' system. I'm running Catalyst 9.2 (the last reasonably stable revision just in general), which is quite a step up in performance and compatability compared to the 8-series drivers it came loaded with. Not sure if it'll work properly with W7, given the driver signing requirements associated with the OS.

6. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wait...if that's the case, then why does this one appear to have a factory-installed T9300?

(2.5 GHz Penryn, 6 MB L2 cache)

If you're wondering why I'm thinking it's factory-installed, take a look at the last picture with a label on the box. It mentions the T9300 right there.

It's also an MPC-branded E-295C from the looks of it, so maybe it was their doing and not Gateway, even though Gateway's the one who made them anyway. Special OEM request, perhaps?

7. jklv

jklv Pen Pal - Newbie

I just checked my driver and it was from 2007 (wat?) and then I clicked on update driver, now it's a 2008 version, I click again and it says it's up to date. I haven't restarted my C-141XL though.
    By the way, my battery now only lasts 10 minutes at most (due to misuse). The best deal I've seen was for $55 and free shipping from a 100% rated seller on E-bay.

Anyway, is it feasible to replace the graphic card? Or what other options would there be for improving FPS on some games?

Thanks.

8. gaidensensei

gaidensensei Pen Pal - Newbie

As an average consumer it's hard or nearly impossible to replace the graphics via slip and go on laptop, or it's a feat for an enthusiast in doing so.

The real viable option is to purchase a better one, or go desktop if possible. You'll save more money doing so.

As for the ATI drivers, I've tried the Driver modding tool and that didn't get exactly what I wanted for Win7-64, so reverting back to the original from Microsoft WDM is what you've got to live with. I mainly had been using mine with architecture/rendering programs, so that's one area that you might want to think again if you are an aspiring architect.

9. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's an update on all the upgrades...

I've run the W7 RC and it played well with my ATI card... So no problems there...

As far as the CPU and HDD upgrade are concerned I've pulled the trigger and ordered both... Should be here by the end of the week and I'll have time to install W7 (official release) next week...

I'm going to order the turbo memory in the next couple of days but I think I'll hold off on the RAM upgrade till later... That's the easy upgrade so I can wait on that.

Back to the turbo mem...

Here's some info for you guys... Intel Turbo memory comes in several flavors... The 512Mb, 1gb and 2gb versions support Windows ReadyDisk and ReadyBoost... The 4gb Version ONLY supports ReadyDisk... (NO Windows ReadyBost) What it DOES support is 'User pinning'...

I should mention that the 2gb version of the intel turbo memory actually also supports user pinning, but you have to enable it in what I understand to be a non-supported way...

A little research on user pinning tells us that it is a user specified version of Readyboost...

So Windows readyboost automatically figures out where you're doing all your work and automatically speeds up those processes, whereas User pinning allows you to specify which processes you want sped up...

I don't know which I should get... The 2gb version or the 4gb version? .... I like the idea of choosing what I want to speed up, but I don't particularly care to HAVE to deal with it manually...

What do you guys think?

-Spart

10. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

Another Update: T9500 is in...

So I dropped the CPU in just to test it and make sure that it worked... Got it from Taiwan on ebay... I got it in 2 days!!! Damn I love Japan Post...

Ok so... Here's what it is...

Everything is way snappier... and this is still with the old Vista install... Gonna post some pics and run some comparisons for you all as soon as I get Win7... My primary concern has been seen to (idle and load temps) its about a 10-15 deg drop!!!

I have yet to order the turbo memory, and Win7... I've decided to risk the 64 bit install... either way, I can always clean install to the 32bit...

I can't wait to get the turbo memory and the 7k500 installed... this thing should be beastly...

Although... I'll have spent about $800 to get this system upgraded... I think I might have gotten an i7 lappy for that price?

Still waiting on feedback about the 2 diff turbo memory modules... Remember, 2gb has Windows automatic Readyboost support, while 4gb has no Readyboost support, but instead has user specified readyboost-ish support... Let me know what you guys think...?

-Spart