To Upgrade or Buy New...?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spartikiss, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

So a while back... I began thinking that I might like to get myself something a little more beefy than this c140 to compliment my desktop pc...

Inspired by people like Zaharia who upgraded pretty much everything on their system and lived to tell the tale... I'm now at the empass of making a decision on whether or not I should buy a new tablet (choices are slim) or upgrade this guy and keep him around a little longer...

Upgrades would include...

- Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade.... ~$220
    - Hitachi Travelstar 7k500 (barely out in a few weeks but its a 7200rpm 500gb hard drive... my current travel star has been very reliable so I'll stick with Hitachi) ... ~$130
    - Intel T9500 (2.6ghz 45nm, 800mhz bus, 6mb L2...) I'm pretty sure this is the fastest cpu our systems can handle... ~$250
    - Memory Upgrade 3gb-->4gb... I currently have a 2gb stick + a 1gb stick. Gonna swap out that 1gb and upgrade to another 2gb stick.... I know that with 32bit windows it'll only see 1.5gb of the extra stick... but its so cheap and my syste is running at 50% mem load just after boot... Gotta get that number down... ~$50
    - 4gb of intel turbo memory... This guy said it worked... He even posted some pretty impressive results... I figure... Until SSDs come down in price... This is the next best thing... I'll just used Ready Boost on it and give myself an extra 4gb of memory... No more lag? ... ~$50

So the total for the upgrade comes down to.... ~$700.... I first bought this PC in the states but have since moved to Japan so the conversion rate will be helpful in this...

Or... I could always buy a new system with W7 already installed... but I'm having trouble finding one that comes close to this $700 price... The C140 still beats the newer tx2500z from HP... Just adding the newer processor would make this better than the x200 from IBM and the XT2 (minus multi-touch of course)...

Somebody give me some thoughts on what you think about this...

-Spart

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. clads01

clads01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Two questions:

1) Do you really need Win7 ultimate?

2) Why not install 64-bit to use all of the 4GB of memory?

If I was in your position I would upgrade (although not necessarily with the same components), but that is just because I wouldn't want to downgrade on tablet screen size ...

3. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

I say go for it if you feel you need the increased cpu power, and larger HD. Otherwise, I would just upgrade to W7 and the 4GB. That's how mine runs and I am quite happy with it - except for my screen is starting to show the loose/floppy issue. But then that's what my extended warranty is for - I hope!

4. Spartikiss

Clads... I need some of the features of W7... Especially the ability to work in a multi-language system... I currently use the international keyboard settings but because I work abroad I sometimes need the ability to use software that does not have English support. Otherwise, it will only display text gibberish. Currently I have a dual boot setup for these instances... But I'd prefer not having to DB....

64-Bit... again... I don't know whether or not the software I use will or will not work in a 64-bit environment... So for now, I'll gladly take a hit on the total RAM usage if i means I'll get at least 512 more Mb...

Scuba...

I think I will go ahead and pull the trigger on all of them... but I'll be doing the CPU and HDD first... I really do need the space... I've got a total of 2gigs left out of my 300-ish gigs... This thing is sluggish...

Quick question for you...

What did you do about the ATI drivers? There aren't any official ones right? How did you get Catalyst to work?

Hope you get your screen fixed... if not, there's always the DIY... :)

-Spart

5. clads01

clads01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm running Win7 64-bit and all my 32-bit software runs fine within the environment. As for ATI drivers, I'm just using the ones auto-installed by Windows ...

6. ScubaX

Ditto on the ATI drivers. Any drivers that don't work, then just use the 32 bit Vista drivers. I don't recall any issues with the C-141xl.

7. Spartikiss

So you don't use Catalyst at all?

-Spart

8. ScubaX

There is no catalyst program, but the drivers are from ATI.

9. Spartikiss

So wait... How do you configure the 3d settings?

-Spart

10. ScubaX

I never did when the program was installed so I don't miss it now.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.