To keep the S3 or not to keep the S3...

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Mesosphere, May 14, 2015.

?

To keep the S3 or not to keep the S3

Poll closed May 19, 2015.
  1. to keep

94.4%
  2. not to keep

5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Pardon my late arrival (thinking hard about an S3) but wanted to mention that one hopes these marketing-driven "paradigm shifts" fail if they are not good for users. I can't imagine the keyboard becoming largely unimportant to me, as much as I love the pen. MS learned from W8 that you can't force a paradigm shift on users if you don't offer them a benefit, incentive, explanation. Just MO.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'm not in any way suggesting that the keyboard goes the way of the dodo, just that we are on the verge of interacting with our computers in new and interesting modes, some that will stay with us others that will be forgotten. The keyboard is still the primary interface for text input, but let's face it, we don't use it for text formatting the way it was used with WordStar. Nor do we copy and delete files with it the way it was done in DOS.
    I don't see that as marketing driven but as technology driven. Voice input, probably through a watch, will in the near future be as easy as typing. Not quite there yet, but not that far away either.

Balbutio ergo sum

gcoupe likes this.
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Well the only vote that really counted had just been cast =P

soh5 and Bronsky like this.
  4. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

Lol, does that mean you kept the device?

5. Mesosphere

Yep, anyone want to buy a used T904? =)

epicfoxes likes this.
  6. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

Bravo! I just sold my laptop too! I hope to emulate this setup in a few days :)

[​IMG]

jvloyola, Bronsky and Mesosphere like this.
  7. Mesosphere

Depends on if you find talking easier than typing =) I don't think I do, but I'm sure others do. Also, I'm sure you didn't mean in this circumstance, but typing is much better for code and things like that (which makes up most of my typing).

Regardless it is a useful input method in certain situations. I really like my xbox one voice control for example. I don't find it easier than the remote, but I find it easier than searching the couch cushions =P

8. Kumabjorn

You're right, for coding, with all the special characters, a keyboard is vastly superior. For a fast response to an e-mail though, alternatives abound.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

9. Mesosphere

I agree completely with your larger point that input methods are expanding considerably right now (gestures, voice, touch, pen) and that the ways in which we interact with computers are shifting dramatically. They are useful or even all out superior for a wide variety of tasks (probably in many ways we haven't even thought up yet).

I'd expand further and say that both sides of the input-output coin are changing dramatically (augmented reality, VR, ever improving display tech). The augmented reality part in particular has me very interested. My "one device" dream is a future incarnation of that with advanced gesture recognition. Just pick up an inert stiff board and a twig and start writing on it while the AR unit 3D projects a virtual (weightless) display of any size you want =P

10. Kumabjorn

If anything is going the way of the dodo it might be printers. Realistically, the only time I need to print anything is when I have to deal with the public sector. They sure love their paper trails.

Balbutio ergo sum

Mesosphere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.