To keep the S3 or not to keep the S3...

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Mesosphere, May 14, 2015.

?

To keep the S3 or not to keep the S3

Poll closed May 19, 2015.
  1. to keep

94.4%
  2. not to keep

5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Fanless SP4 + Surface Mini or Toshiba Encore Write would be my travel companion. Light package, a large canvas and a note-taker , perfect for both usages. I am once a fan of a clam-shell keyboard, but the SP3 typer cover is so much improved to neglect that part. I also seldom use my SP3 on the lap. I guess all comes down to whether one is sold on the Surface type of device. It is just so much more flexible than a clamshell type device IMO.

2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

unless the sp4 comes out, I will keep this for now so I am voting to keep....yesterday used it for heavy work stuff with multiple HVD etc open and it ran like a champ

Bronsky likes this.
  3. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting to see the discussion about how different people see how the S3 fits into their technology profile. As technology becomes more "personal", folks start using more subjective criteria to measure their tech...

One machine I haven't seen discussed is the iPad. I think MS would compare the SP3 to the MacAir/Mac Book and the S3 compares more with an iPad.

Unfortunately, I am stuck to the iOS world because I need to be able to interact reliably and efficiently with the iOS Calendar. I use the iCloud/Outlook client on the PC, but it is often problematic, particularly in offline mode. I also like the multiplatform Message and Find My Friends to keep track of wife and kids.

Anyway, I'd rather have an S3 over an iPad, but I'm stuck.

Is anyone thinking about ditching their iPad for and S3?

4. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

I voted not to keep. but then I remembered taking notes on it and changed my answer. plus I really miss the keyboard, build quality, speakers and pen quality. if I didn't find this TPY S1 at the price I did, I would still have the Surface 3. That being said I would be hacking a logitech trackman to be bluetooth, and trying find out if I can rig up a speed charger to the S3. The Chrome-drain thing would piss me off but I would try other browsers. As someone who remembers trying to make web pages around IE in the 90s I won't use IE again if I can help it.

5. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

Completely agree. I just bought a used SP3 to test side-by-side. Not sure what my outcome will be, but really don't like the eMMC and slow charging (last night it stopped charging at 72% with "plugged in, not charging" crap again).

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Lol, everyone has voted keep it so far (11-0).

7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

You mean 12-0.

epicfoxes, Bronsky and Mesosphere like this.
  8. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

Meso,

I believe this poll results should be binding :) in regards to your decision

Mesosphere likes this.
  9. Mesosphere

I'll agree to those terms if the "to keep" vote comes along with a $60 pledge to the Mesosphere tablet fund =)

soh5 and epicfoxes like this.
  10. Mesosphere

For me it has to be two. I want to be able to work out of the office just like I do in the office which means a tablet (pen/touch driven) along side my "desktop" (mouse/keyboard driven).

If it were not for that, I think I'd definitely keep the S3. The Cherry Trail CPU is without a doubt good enough to be my only (for mobile). If is just a matter of the occasional inconvenience. It is very rare that I do anything (at least work wise) that necessitates local CPU/GPU power.

For me it is more about the screen size in laptop use. I'd prefer 16:9 for that. The 12.5" 16:9 screens are almost exactly the same height but ~2" wider than the S3. That would be just enough I think (based on my 13.3" 16:9 experience) for side by side window operation which is often how I work (terminal+code, code+reference, etc.).

Keeping the S3 + T904 would be a decent option, but it is also an expensive one. If I can get, say, $800 for my T904 the cost of my options are,

• T904+S3: ~$800
    • T904+AVN8: $0
    • S3+AVN8: ~0$
    • z20t+AVN8: ~$600-900
    I think unless I can convince myself (and my wife) to spend the extra money, I'm likely down to sticking with what I have or "trading" the S3 for the T904.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.