To all those waiting for an SP3 with i7 for HD5000 and gaming you may be dissapointed.

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by jeffp898, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffp898

jeffp898 Pen Pal - Newbie

The surface pro 3 has a single fan solution. Unless that is changed for the i7 gaming will not be possible for most games. I am noticing severe throttling after a few minutes of any kind of gaming... even minecraft on an i5 to the point where after 3-4 minutes it is running slower then an i3. The i7 HD5000 with double the GPU EU's will be even worse off. Unless the i7 surface pro 3 has a different fan design your i7 will be running like an i3 after 2-3 minutes of gaming. In short don't expect the SP3 to play any games in any decent capacity and people seem very excited for the HD5000 in the i7 when it is completely pointless because it will never run at the level to differentiate itself from an i5 (let a lone an i3). It is true that the i7 will be slightly faster with more execution units at a throttled speed but it will be still slower then an i3 running non throttled.

I have done some aggressive undervolting but still getting throttled speeds. I am looking into ways of preventing the throttling but there will likely be little room because temps are hitting 87C already.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It would be helpful to give much more details, such as what games you are attempting to run and at what settings.... We seen the SP3 do 3D Rendering for CAD Modeling and seen other reporting on games working on the SP3.

We know the Mindcraft is a JAVA based game that isn't optimized for a Connected Standby Enabled Machine.

3. DennyA

DennyA Pen Pal - Newbie

I spent a couple of hours running Kerbal Space Program last night with the graphic detail cranked fairly high (but resolution down to 1366x768) with no issues and no apparent throttling. Likely depends on the games you're playing.

No Intel integrated graphics machine is going to be a good primary gaming rig. But if you set your expectations realistically and stick to indy games, older titles, strategy games like Civ V and XCOM, and less twitch-oriented stuff like Kerbal Space Program, you can definitely have a lot of gaming fun on it.

demandarin likes this.
  4. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

I cannot see MS investing in and offering the i7 as a line if there were not measurable differences between them, I think its too early to suggest you won't see any benefit in the i7 over the i3/i5

demandarin likes this.
  5. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been fairly impressed with games so far, except of course for battery life.

I've played so far Tomb Raider 2013 and the elder scrolls online. TR ran decently but not great at full resolution, with everything else turned down. Elder scrolls online runs very well, surprisingly well, with medium settings and full resolution. I have to run full resolution because it letterboxes anything under that, I wonder why, my baytrail atom did not letterbox like that.

On the same note the fan is LOUD.

6. jeffp898

The SP3 can run games. Some may see it "playable" but dips below 15 fps at 1280x800 resolution with all things set to minimum in diablo 3have me ripping my hair out. I have used the intel hd 4400 on the Lenovo yoga pro 2 and I am very familiar what it is capable of with proper cooling solution. Don't get me the wrong the i7 WILL be faster in short bursts, but in sustained gaming there will be minimal difference unless the i7 variant has a different cooling solution or less aggressive throttling (the latter is not likely because I am seeing temps at 87C with the i5 with aggressive undervolting). It is known the SP3 will be slower then the SP2 in graphics as many online reviews have showed. It can be as slow as the SP1 in many cases.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8077/64340.png

7. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's a huge difference between the sp2 and sp3. Is MS just aggressively managing battery and throttling on the SP3? I would assume that the larger screen is taking up that more juice that MS needs to do these things in order to match the SP2 battery life. I'm almost tempted to pick up a SP2 on discount, at least they have the power covers.

8. jeffp898

It is likely due to temperatures that there is aggressive throttling. SP2 had a dual fan solution and SP3 has a single fan.

9. redviper

redviper Scribbler - Standard Member

Where is the graph from?

10. jeffp898

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.