Tm3?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by TM2user, Feb 7, 2011.

1. TM2user

TM2user Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone hear any news about a TM2 successor coming out soon hopefully with both intel sandy bridge and AMD fusion platforms?

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn't expect anything Sandy Bridge based until late spring at the earliest. Haven't looked into Fusion enough but my expereiences with AMD mobile CPU platforms has been less than good. Still have a tx2 and that thing was just a hot pocket though I know Fusion is much better. Still, I really have little intrest in AMD CPUs these days though I do need to look into Fusion more as I imagine that there will be a Tablet PC based on it coming out sooner or later.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1. I do not think HP will make the blunder to switch to AMD again for their Tablet PC line (as much as I love and adore AMD for their kickass/ sowerful/ cheap priced desktop processors, I really think their mobile chipsets are all around lacking what it takes -and don't get me started on ATI, which is now owned/ operated by AMD)
    2. Do not expect any real improvement when (if) the core-i chips on the Tm2 get updated to the Sandy Bridge chipset (it is only a update, and the Tm2 will stick with the CULV processors, the real "benefits" of SB will be seen in desktop processors, most certainly not in mobile, and never in the CULV line)
    3. Unless you truly need the ATI chipset in the Tm2 (there barely a handful of real reasons), then I would advise you take a look at the HP Elitebook Tablets (HP 2730p/ 2740p), or the Fujitsu T4410/ T730, or the Lenovo X200t/ X201t.
    Why, you ask? well the screen is the most important part of a Tablet PC, then processor, then battery life... GPU is near the end usually. Also the build quality and the machines in general are far superior to the Tm2... just a thought

4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually SB has a number of performance and power improvements in the mobile area, it's a good upgrade over Arrandale and the ULVs are simply undervolted versions, you'll get benefit there too. Not earth shatering but it is a good step up, like going from Core 2 ULVs to Arrandale except there's be more power benefits.

If you have no need for a dedicated GPU then I would agree that the tm2 may not be the best device but mine is exactly a year old today and it's been a great device. The screen is it's biggest flaw and it's a little think but it's a good convertiable Tablet PC overall.

And yeah, AMD platforms, just not a a fan these days.

5. prepseb

prepseb Scribbler - Standard Member

6. Mago

Mago Pen Pal - Newbie

comes soon an update to the tm2t adopting sandy bridge, but not that spectacular as on other laptops.

Wait the same convertible with improved cpu/chipset only and maybe a new finish. Speed improvements will not be dramatical but the option for SSD available. and an i7 option but not a quadcore just the most advanced i5 rebranded.

Suposed to have an eSata port, sources just ditched it.

7. r122513

r122513 Pen Pal - Newbie

Will it be lunched by this month?

8. Juke

Juke Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe we'll see a tm3 with webOS, as HP just said that they would bring webOS to PCs.

9. GiOakJoe

GiOakJoe Pen Pal - Newbie

If HP was smart they would run a duel boot with webOS and windows to roll it out in the pc world to get people used to it and to get it out there.

I think the tm2 would be the perfect computer to start rolling webOS on.

10. Mago

Mago Pen Pal - Newbie

its very likely a dual boot with webOS on most future HP notebook or desktops.