tm2t: What happened to processor choices?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by b52hbuff, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkrx7

blkrx7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Mago,

I had a 2740p here for 10 days side by side with my TM2. I miss it, but the lack of HDMI, the 1.8" hdd, and defects forced me to send it back. My keyboard's 5 didn't work, display was surprisingly loose and in-sensitive down one edge and corner.

I really preferred the screen, thickness and handling of the 2740, but I think i've decided to hold off until at least some of it's short-commings are resolved, or it's price comes down to better reflect it's features.

I was hoping to see a spring re-fresh of the Elitebook, hoping for at least hdmi, a bump in battery life and sandybridge.

Keep us informed if you hear anything, and thanks!

2. r122513

r122513 Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you know when the Envy will be updated to SB?

3. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm waiting for my TM2 with the 470UM and the ATI graphics to be replaced. I'll see if I can get them to replace it with this when it becomes available. I'd rather wait for something worth having than get some piece of **** now.

4. Mago

Mago Pen Pal - Newbie

Not soon, maybe Q2 -no idea-

5. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, HP authorized my full refund on the defective TM2. Looks like I'm out of the HP game. Shame they didn't stand by their product. If mine had worked properly, if they had replaced it more promptly, or if I thought for a second they actually cared about customer satisfaction, I would get the new Sandy Bridge version, but I don't believe it at all.

I'm really saddened by this, the community around the product is fantastic. It was this community that convinced me to make the purchase in the first place. I'll stick around, but from now on, you guys will be seeing me in the Lenovo section, once the x220t comes out.

6. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm still on the fence about keeping or cancelling my i5/AIT order. The i5 would be the i5-470UM, or the current generation. The threads here have me thinking hard about Sandy Bridge. Looks like i5 is going to be a similar battery life/power consumption for current (18W) and future (17W) designs.

But there seems to be a big performance boost:
    New Sandy Bridge Intel Core i5 vs old Core i5 - APC labs test

And some research/reviews show that GPU performance is comparable to low end discrete graphics card.
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge GPU Performance Review - Page 10/10 | techPowerUp

7. b52hbuff

One other interesting point if there are any other fence sitters out there. How long between processor announce and HP product availability?

In the case of the latest tm2ts:
    HP Advances the Touch Experience for Consumers and Businesses

tm2t:
    Announced: 9/20/2010
    Availability: 10/27/2010

i5-470UM:
    Intel is readying Core i3-380UM and Core i5-470UM CPUs
    Information available:9/9/2010

So it took a couple of weeks after CPU announcement to get HP to announce the new tm2t. Wonder what this bodes for the potential Sandy Bridge upgrade?

8. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, HP does have a WebOS event early Febuary, rumored to have a WebOS tablet behind the curtains. I'd say it's a prime time to also just put a new refresh or model of the tm series. I'd wait till around then for an official announcement. This almost falls in line with Mago's Febuary 20th prediction. I just got mine from Costco, 3 months warranty, so I have plenty of time to change my mind :)

9. b52hbuff

Looks like processor choices have come back.

i3-380 + Integrated graphics
    i5-470 + ATI

Buy it today (1/22) and estimated ship date is 2/28. That is a fairly healthy delay.

Still not sure about waiting on Sandy Bridge or taking the i5-470.

10. b52hbuff

Looks like factory is clearing backlog quickly. ;) Just checked again and build date is now 2/8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.