TM2 screen quality?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by talin, Feb 28, 2010.

1. talin

talin Resident cynic

Just one more question if I may. ;) How would anyone rate the screen quality/brightness/viewing angles on the TM2? :)

2. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

There's about 3 different types of LCD's that come on the tm2's, two AUO screens and a Samsung. The Samsung is supposed to be slightly better, and I've got an AUO, and I'd say for a tablet, the viewing angles are pretty poor. Viewing straight-on, it appears very crisp and clear and brightness is good/average. My only other gripe about it besides viewing angles was the poor color. I had to calibrate it but it's still not perfect. By default it had a pink cast to it, and the color cast also changes between green/pink when I tilt it.

A video of my screen can be found here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTbpjVena4c

Here's my screen at 3 vertical angles:
    http://i45.tinypic.com/2yttile.jpg

And here's the color before and after calibrating compared to my Samsung NC10:
    http://i45.tinypic.com/2r79aw0.jpg

It's very difficult to get a good representation of what it looks like, all images were taken with my Canon 450D using the "Cloudy" white balance preset.

And you can see this thread for other issues:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=30567

3. satchmo0016

satchmo0016 Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually ended up with the Samsung SEC4D41 screen..

Do you want me to take some video or pictures? o

4. talin

talin Resident cynic

Wow thanks, and yes satchmo, if you could that would be great. :) How is the overall screen brightness though? Especially in a brightly lit room?

5. jkenny23

It's slightly dimmer than my netbook, and my room isn't too brightly lit, but I'd say it's fine. Probably wouldn't be as good outdoors since it's got the glossy screen.

6. daslolo

daslolo Scribbler - Standard Member

The screen is pretty bad :
    - viewing angle is pretty poor
    - the gloss makes it nearly unusable outdoors
    - it has a magenta hue (which you can compensate in the color calibration)
    - not very bright
    - low contrast

7. Azuryu

Azuryu Pen Pal - Newbie

Several people have said in other threads that it was the best out of every tablet pc they've ever had. Remember that it being a glossy screen (side effect of an accurate multitouch overlay) will seem to amplify the viewing angle problem. I had an asus g50-vtx1 with a perfect screen. It faded after 2 months a little because it was CC not LED though. I sold it because I will sacrifice a perfect screen and power for mobility, battery life, and use-on-the-go style that comes with tablets. In the end you find what like and take the good with the bad, personally I'd just get it and see if it bothers you. If it does then either replace the lcd if you know how or drop 2,000$ on a business model. I have faith that a member will make a replacement guide as soon as someone cracks a screen. :) In the end, your only paying 1,000, cheapest 12" tablet on the market. Either way I'll let you know when mine gets here, but my fiance had a cheap HP laptop she carried around, and we just adjusted it. In tablet mode its already in your hands so its easier to adjust. :) At least its not the dim glittery screen the tx2500 had. ><

8. talin

talin Resident cynic

Thanks everyone. I'm more concerned with screen brightness (being able to view in a brightly lit room without brightness set to 100%) than I am with viewing angles. :)
    Not to be impatient, but I created another thread asking about the HDD mode. Can anyone confirm if it's SATA I (1.5gbps) or SATA II (3.0gbps)? I'd really like to order this coming week. :)

9. daslolo

daslolo Scribbler - Standard Member

in a brightly lit room you will be fine.

10. jkenny23

I reverted the color correction back to default. At least now it looks like it got rid of the changing hues when I tilt the screen. I'll just live with the slight pink/magenta color cast I guess.