TM2 Quality vs Macbook vs 2730P

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Bestbuystinks, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bestbuystinks

Bestbuystinks Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello y'all,

First time poster. My CTO TM2 will hopefully arrive by next week. I am purchasing it to replace a Macbook Pro (2008 model). The MBP has served me well, but I can no longer tolerate the 2.5 hour battery life or the thigh burning heat. I was seriously considering a new 13.3" MBP, but the TM2 (especially w/ current discounts) was too tempting to pass up. Surpringly, it appears that quite a few Macbook fans have gravitated towards the TM2.

For those of you who are familiar with the latest generation of Macbooks: How would you rate the build quality of the TM2 compared to the Macs?

For those of you long time HP tablet fans how would you rate the build quality of the TM2 compared to the HP Elitebook 2730P Tablet? Also, how would you rate the screen quality of the TM2 compared to the 2730P? I owned a 2730P for a short while and would have kept it, but I had problems obtaining the Windows 7 upgrade so I returned it.

Thanks in advance !!!

2. micstar

micstar Pen Pal - Newbie

If you close the lid, the stability of the HP is on par with the Macbook.

I have an unibody Macbook 13,3" late 2008 and in my opinion the HP is (when opened) a little less sturdy because of its construction (single hinge vs. double hinge) and the bezel surrounding the screen (weakest point of the construction, if you press it, it feels soft and breakable).

But the new touch input is definitively a winner as well as the cool running high performance processing power - and a longer lasting battery...
    My Macbook gets terribly hot...

The input gestures (scrolling via touchpad) are still not too much fun on the HP - apple has a much better implementation (maybe driver-related).

Cheers

Mic

3. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

The MacBook Pro's body is carved from a single block of Aluminum and the TM2 is using a thin sheet to cover the tops so no the build quality is not the same.

That said, its still very good. I'm actually quite impressed. Especially after having briefly owned the Tx2. They did a heck of a job in bringing the quality up on this latest model.

4. Fujilives

Fujilives Pen Pal - Newbie

Having previously owned a macbook pro (the older macbook pros, not the 'glass-screen' kind) I can honestly say it's right on par. I'd say from that standpoint, build-quality feels about the same.

The only major difference between the two is the screen viewing angles. The viewing angles in the TM2, while great from the left/right perspective, downright suck from the vertical up/down viewing angles. You only have a few degrees where everything looks 'just right', if you go up or down too much, the colors tend to wash-out really fast, where the older Macbook Pros use very nice panels with fantastic viewing angles.

All in all, this is my favorite laptop I've ever purchased, hands down. This machine is a damned near perfect balance of performance/dollar, long-battery life, quiet, light-weight, not-too-hot for the lap (though it's still doesn't run 'cool') and maintains a very high-level of build quality.

Honestly, there is very little wrong with the TM2, its just an awesome machine, BUT, if they ever release a model just like this, with buttons for ctrl/alt/etc (maybe a couple extra custom programmable buttons) for use in tablet mode, and an IPS screen with better viewing angles, I'd gladly pay several hundred dollars more to upgrade. Writing/drawing/painting on the glass with the pen is a freaking pleasure, it just feels incredibly natural compared to my old Wacom pad I tried-but-couldn't-get-used-to that's been sitting in my drawer for years now.

EDIT: I wonder if in coming years someone will have a tutorial on replacing the panel with a higher quality IPS panel, I'd be interested to see that if so.