TM2 Keyboard repair -- anyone got a broken one lying around?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Guppeh, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guppeh

Guppeh Pen Pal - Newbie

Have a repair story and a request for any folks here. TL;DR is that I am looking for anyone who has a broken TM2T-2xxx keyboard; I am hoping to buy it for parts.

Anyway, story is that I pulled off some keys off my keyboard to clean debris, and ended up breaking two plastic retaining clips underneath my spacebar. I tried using superglue to repair them, but it's simply not strong enough.

Next tried a shop that sells individual replacement keys, but they weren't able to supply me with a correct match (despite mailing them pictures of my keyboard and broken hinge) -- they sent me some key parts corresponding to the correct HP part number (584161-001), but mechanically they were different so I returned them.

So, I ended up buying a replacement keyboard -- and indeed, although the part numbers and overall design matched, the plastic key-clips underneath were different from the original. Anyway, the replacement keyboard did not come with the black plastic decorative frame (plastic grid that sits in between the island keys). Well, while trying to attach the old grid to the new, I ended up messing up the new keyboard (Grabbed it while I had superglue on my fingers, damaged more keys trying to clean it off :eek:).

So... this butter-fingers is now asking folks here (before I buy a 3rd replacement keyboard) -- anyone have a broken keyboard lying around that I could scavange for parts?

Edit: Fixed, got a new keyboard off Ebay for $20.

2. Zimoich

Zimoich Pen Pal - Newbie

If you don´t have this yet,
    Then it might be useful to you.

Especially the different part codes for different languages for TM2 keyboards and proper disassembly instructions.

2shared - download tm2-2xxx series service manual.pdf
    /tm2-2xxx_series_service_manual.html

3. khag7

khag7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am also trying to attach the black plastic frame/grid that sits around and between all the keys. Seems that when you detach the plastic frame, the little nubs that held the frame to the keyboard no longer do their job. I do kind of like the keyboard without the grid, but I also wish I could attach it back on. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Guppeh it sounds like you were trying to attach the same part as me, do you think it is possible to do or were you having problems with that as well?

4. Guppeh

Guppeh Pen Pal - Newbie

I had no problems doing the repair (on the second try, that is). After separating the frame from the old keyboard, place it in position. Some of the old plastic nubs may still snap into place while most will only sit loosely; make sure there are no distorted bits that could keep the frame from sitting flat against the keyboard.

Then use tape around the edges to hold it place tightly against against the new keyboard. Apply a small amount of glue to the backside at each of the nub positions, and making sure the frame is not popped up in the middle part of the keyboard (if it does, you may have to hold it together or use a C-clamp). Let dry thoroughly before removing the tape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.