TM2 i5 Major Problem

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by sirgrinalot, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirgrinalot

sirgrinalot Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had the i5 for about 5 days. On day 2 I started noticing a huge problem that I couldn't put my finger on its source.

Here are the symptoms, No usb ports would recognize any device unless it was connected during startup. Any small application installation would take 10-15 minutes even at 0% cpu usage and 0% hdd usage. Every shutdown will sit on the "Shutting Down" screen for 15-20 minutes before crashing with a bsod and rebooting itself to the "Windows Did not Shutdown Properly" screen with all issues remaining no matter how many failed restarts I attempt. And last but not least random BSOD's from all sorts of codes that resulted in a instant shutdown.

It took me 3-4 days to find out what was causing the issue, at first I thought it was a slow hard drive, second I thought it was something I installed, HP bloatware, or a microsoft update. I decided to boot into safe mode to see if that did anything, and none of the problems existed in safe mode. In addition to no problems, after shutting down from safe mode and starting up windows normally all the problems go away. Instantly I began to think that it was software related and was already thinking about running the recovery discs.

Until I accidentally discovered the source of the problem. After booting to safe mode and back to normal to start on a clean slate, all usb ports work, shutdown works, application installations work, and no bsod's. I began testing, hdmi cable, usb ports, shutdowns, ect. ect. After I exhausted all ideas I left it alone for a few hours to do something. And to my surprise, after bringing the display up by touching the touchpad I tested a jumpdrive and Lo and behold it doesn't work.

Now I know what is causing the issue, but I have no idea were to start. Is this a driver or a bios problem? Or is this a chipset issue?

I did a quick google search for "intel 5 series 3400 series chipset" which should be the correct chipset on this machine. I found this article:

Intel 5 and 3400 Series Chipset Family USB ports stall with bulk and control traffic
    I don't know if my tm2 issue is isolated or others are affected, after that article I have no idea were to start to fix this. It may be a BIOS problem and is out of my hands, or it may be a driver problem, I really don't know. I will continue to troubleshoot...

Here is my configuration:

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-430UM (1.20GHz,3MB) + 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5450 switchable graphics
    8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    640GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010
    No additional security software
    6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard)
    HP TrueVision Webcam and FingerPrint Reader (on the display)
    Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth

2. zan5hin

zan5hin Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds like it could be either the hard drive, a motherboard fault / chipset issue you describe, or a corrupt windows.

Seeming it is only 5 days old and you have not invested too much in the current windows install, I would blow it away and reinstall Windows 7, if you have an external optical drive. Maybe you have a copy of 7 without HP bloatware you can try? Then download the latest drivers for everything.

After that if it still persists I would just send it back to HP, obviously a new machine should not be bluescreening like that and it sounds like a hardware fault. If it was the chipset issue you described I think there would be many more complaints, as other users would notice very quickly if USB ports were not working in general.

3. sirgrinalot

sirgrinalot Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the response and suggestions zan5hin, as of now the safe modes do work, but are very picky as to when they will work. and the touchpad quit working as well. Good thing I finished burning the recovery discs right before the mouse quit. I do have a copy of windows 7 pro 64 bit and I will try installing that with the hp drivers from the driver page. If that doesn't work, I will run the recovery discs and see if that foxes it, if not it's going back to hp...