Tm2-2050ea vs TM2-2190SA differences?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by excalibur1814, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hello,

My girlfriend currently owns a 1050ea TM2 which is fantastic but I'm thinking of getting one of the above machines. The problem arises from trying to find out why they have two different model numbers? Sure, one has x64 and a larger hard drive but is that it?

Also thinking that the 2050/2190 should have better battery life, even though it's 18w vs 10w, but the Intel GPU is integrated onto the CPU so 'should' be better on battery than the 1050ea...

I'm in the UK. the TM2 i buy over the next few days will be replacing an Envy 13 so I'd prefer the same performance in all areas other than the screen.. no chance of beating a radiance panel :)

2. excalibur1814

"that the TM2-2000 was half pound lighter and thinner"

At least that's one difference compared to the 1050ea

3. thingemajib

thingemajib Pen Pal - Newbie

The tm2-1xxx use the intel core2 series of processors and ati hd 4550 graphics (all uk models have ati graphics).

The tm2-2xxx use the newer intel core i series of processors and the ati 5450 graphics, and i believe have slightly better battery life/minor aesthetic differences as mentioned above. If online benchmarks are to be believed, the 1.2ghz pentium chip found in the second gen uk tm2s actually outperform the 1.3ghz pentiums found in the first gen uk tm2s

As for the differences between the tm2-2050ea and the 2190sa, i really dont have a clue. They have identical specs, and uk models cant be customised like us ones. The only difference i have found is that on HP's support and download site, the 2190 has a newer version of the HP touchsmart software availiable which can be persuaded to install istelf onto the 2050 with a little persuasion

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I never had a second gen personally, but I remember this debate going on a before they were actually out (because HP was stupid and released the wrong spec's on their site for the Tm2 2xxx) it turned out that Gen 2 was exactly the same design as the Gen 1 Tm2, except it had a slightly newer processor and ATI gfx chip (this is fact, not my opinion)

But the big issue with them is that while, yes, Intel says "18W TDP" it is NOT IN ANY WAY more efficent or nicer on battery life than the Gen 1 Tm2 (they also run hotter; it is all because Intel can never design a damed chip correctly -thus resulting in the whole Arrandale line being like this, and with such a small performance improvement from C2D the Core-i was pointless because it ran worse -that is also fact and not my opinion)

The odd numbering scheme they used (mostly in the European countries, or anywhere but the US) are confusing, but they don't really matter as all it means is that it is configured slightly differently (maybe a different hdd, a webcam, fingerprint reader, better wi-fi.... you name it, and it is probably a option somewhere)

Be wary of buying another Tm2 as you can very possibly get a lemon; I know that there are a ton of current Tm2 users here that have been selling off their Tm2's for cheap here -$500 or so is what I saw (and there are certainly more to come), so maybe consider that as you will know the history of the machine and if it has any of the little issues people have noted (look through the seller's post history and see if there were issues or not, plus it should still come out cheaper even if you have to pay VATS/ Customs/ Taxes)

5. excalibur1814

Thanks Guys. I'll have a think... Blimey

6. badboyace84

badboyace84 Pen Pal - Newbie

got my 2190SA delivered Today from debenhams and it came with a core i3 sticker on it so l don't know if Thats the difference between The Two versions of the Tm2

7. excalibur1814

Cor blimey! The 2190SA is the expensive one in the UK. Will be interesting to see if we can figure out the damn differences. I have a 2050ea on the way which should arrive monday, £310
    Hp TouchSmart TM2 on eBay (end time 12-May-11 21:01:19 BST)

Shame that the full ADP warranty is no longer for sale :(

8. thingemajib

thingemajib Pen Pal - Newbie

...and i thought i got a good deal when i haggled mine down to £600 last december :(

9. excalibur1814

:) My girlfriends TM2 cost... £110 + £110 for ADP warranty. Collected, repaired, returned like a brand new machine. Trouble is, the ADP is no longer available (Accidental damage protection) so i missed a £140 one the other day. Dammit

10. excalibur1814

Well... it arrived today and despire the slight smell of cigarette smoke :( it's a next to pristine machine (has a scratch on the top cover that I knew about from the auction).

The temps are 42c at idle in a room thats 26c and the DAMN FAN is always on. Yep, turned off the bios option but that made no difference so I'm hoping that the SSD i have at home will change the fan temps. (updated to the latest bios). Already slapped in 8Gb ram BUT the intel 6205 card didn't work due to not being on some whitelist. Bios error etc. Dammit. 6200 worked on the 1050.

I sold my Envy 14 due to the dramatic 'every 10 seconds cycle the fan' problem so if the fan doesn't switch off I'll sell. (Heck, the 1050ea is very quiet)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.