Tired of writing on glass -- better Wacom pen?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by curtissh, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

One of the things the Lenovo Thinkpads have refined over the years is the friction between nib and screen. The VivoTab is like the old Motions in that it's like writing on glass. Those too improved over time, but my impression of both the Lenovos and Motions is that it was more a function of altering the surface of the screen than changing the nib (IIRC, those little plastic nibs have never changed).

The question for you guys is whether there's a Wacom pen with a nib that has a little more drag. Maybe with some rubber on it? I used an S Pen once, and it seems like it was covered in rubber, but I don't know for sure (and, of course, those pens wouldn't work with a Wacom digitizer).

Thoughts?

2. curtissh

Alternatively, you guys think I can replace the nib in the Asus pen with something better?

3. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

You can buy pens that come or can use the new rubber felt nibs. The new Wacom Feel pen come with a variety of nibs including soft tip nibs similar to the Note 10-1 S Pen.

Similarly you can also purchase a different Kind Of Screen protector. I use a photodome (or something like that) on my Samsung 7 Series and it has some good friction.

Ron

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

4. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

S-Pens are wacom stylii n will work on any "penabled" tablet pc old and new. Theeir nibs have a rubber core and tip. You can order new nibs from wacom that are the same design but in the standard size, but I prefer the grip of the felt nibs better myself. You should beable to just pull out the nib from your styli and replace it with any of the standard sized wacom replacement nibs.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

I am glad to see such an important and intersting discussion here.

Yes,the friction between the Nib and screen & the nib geometry plays an important role in how well you can Sketch.
    The screen and the stylus nib should ultimately provide a paper like gripy experience to an artist.The pen nib should not slip on the screen.

<<...The question...is whether there's a Wacom pen with a nib that has a little more drag...>>

Having a particular kind of stylus nib is not just enough,the screen should be actually able to synchronise with the nib.

However,you can also try buying a nib set or different types of nibs from Wacom Website and try using all possible nib styles into your pen.

http://www.wacom.com/products/accessories/nibs-and-ink-refills

I believe that all Cintiq nibs (not the cintiq stylus itself) can be exchanged with Wacom Penabled Pen nibs.Many People prefer using "Felt"nibs.

Something related to your comment may find your some interest here:
    Comment no. 75 and then comment no. 71 of page 8 of this thread:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/axiotron-modbook/13731-modbook-has-arrived-8.html

There you will find how the feel of screen surface and pen nib dimensions affect the way the tablet works for sketching.
    I don't know whether these 2 comment posts will be helpful for you or not,but I think,its worth sharing it here.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  7. nessers

nessers Pen Pal - Newbie

If we are talking about nibs, I was wondering - since I got that small pack of three-four extra nibs with my TF810C, how will I know it's time to replace the nib? Or is it just like being in love? i.e. no one can tell you -- you just know.

8. curtissh

So, I just ordered these: Amazon.com: Wacom Bamboo Replacement Nib Set (2 Standard, 2 Flex, 2 Felt) For CTL, CTH, CTE, INTUOS: Computers & Accessories

I'll report back here whether they fit the Asus pen.

9. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Important question!Here are few You-Tube videos,if they can help you:

CHANGING NIBS: WHEN AND HOW - YouTube

Intuos - Basic Settings - Choosing a Nib - YouTube

intuos5 pen | how to change nibs and color rings - YouTube

How to change your pen nib - YouTube

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...how will I know it's time to replace the nib?..>>

ness: As the tip of the nib wears, it typically develops a flat that eventually grows to the point that the inking feel takes on a slightly "scratchy" feel. When you start to notice that, it's time to start thinking about replacing the nib. At least to me, the feeling is unmistakable, so I don't think that you'll have any difficulty knowing when you've reached that point.

ALSO, whether you use a screen protector (highly recommended) or not, never hesitate to swap out your nib if you think that it may have picked up a bit of grit. A scratch on your screen will have a significant effect on the resale value of your tablet that will far exceed the trivial cost of a new nib (not to mention the general irritation of feeling the scratch as you use your tablet day to day...).