TIP Takes Up All of Taskbar

Discussion in 'Software' started by poetdante, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The TIP is taking up all of my taskbar and prohibiting open windows from showing. I had this problem in the past but somehow it went away on it's own almost (the problem, not the panel). I'm uploading some pictures to show what I mean. The top one is with the mouse pointer not on the task bar. The one below it is with the pointer on the quick launch portion. See how the TIP panel even extends around it. I've tried and found I can't adjust the width of the panel. Anybody have an idea how to fix this? I want to try something less drastic than just removing the TIP panel and putting it back (found on this forum)

At a command prompt, you have to cd into the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink

Then type:

regsvr32 /u tipband.dll

Of course, if all else fails, I could delete my user account (it's limited access so I could always go into an admin account) and make a new one from a backup.

Attached Files:

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had this problem also a few times. I was able to put it back to normal mode after I moved the TIP and the other lists around, hid some, showed some again, and after a bit "playing" everything was fine again ;)
    I don't know an elegant way, but with a bit playing you should be able to correct it :)

3. poetdante

Anything specific? I'd rather not mess around with the Program Files folder. However, I do have some more info.

I typed in the following command in the cmd window per Microsofts directions
    regsvr32 -u %programfiles%\common files\microsoft shared\ink\tipband.dll

I got a pop up window with the message

LoadLibrary ("C:\Program") failed - the specified module was not found

Any ideas? I changed it so my Limited User account was an Admin account but same deal. I went into the program files folder and found the tipband.dll file so I know it's there.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

poetdante, may I suggest a healthy dose of Taskbar Repair Tool? ;)

It fixed that problem for me, should work for you as well (TIP didn't take up the whole bar, but the taskbar toolbar that shows your open windows went missing).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. poetdante

Unregistering and reregistering tipband.dll worked. I had to be in the owner account to do it. Thanks for your help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.