Time for an N-trig software update - make yourself heard!

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by adrians, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrians

adrians Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe this pace of development is to be expected. I have to say that I was hoping more people would show interest in these issues - especially on Reddit where I first posted. Of course I realize that one voice in a forum represents a larger number of unspoken, but similarly minded people out there, but countering that is the argument that forums are mostly frequented by people who have a beef. The sad fact is that people, largely, put up with certain technology quirks (even when these could be reasonably/quickly addressed) because they don't know any better. I'm thinking specifically of the large number of users I've seen over the years when CRTs were in use, who would put up with a flickering 60 Hz refresh rate when the monitor could support higher, but the default was 60 Hz. In a similar vein, I can see these users asking "What do you mean there's something that could be improved here? I can draw lines on a screen with a pen!" They are sufficiently happy they can do that - refinements are frills.

It seems that only when a problem affects functionality to the point of a feature being almost or totally unusable (see the huge number of complaints about wi-fi problems with the SP3) do you see a large number of people standing up to complain and something being done about it in a reasonably short time.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Maybe this pace of development is to be expected...>>

Not in my book. Bronsky's comment is dead on the money. In addition to the trials and tribulations of those of us that suffered through the HP Slate 500, Dell / N-trig did not field a truly usable pen & touch driver for the Dell Latitude XT2 until that tablePC was well into end-of-life! One could say "better late than never," but seriously; this was Dell's showcase tabletPC (at the time).

In the current case, things are a bit different, but if Microsoft promised us this specific update, I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask them when we can expect it...

3. adrians

adrians Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm going to hazard a guess that pen digitizer tech is not N-Trig's core business, but rather touchscreens. Sort of like how Synaptics main business is touchpads.

We talk a lot about "competition" and "market choice" besides Wacom, but from a realistic business perspective, this is merely an experimental, side-market at best. None of these companies are actually approaching it with the strategy of "let's displace Wacom in the digitizer stylus market", so we really shouldn't expect them them put out anything beyond 'good-enough' for note-taking.

Do I agree with this? Of course not—not even from a business perspective. I feel the digitizer writing tool market potential is very untapped (while Wacom has been just sitting on it's laurels). There's plenty of room for innnovation and the expansion and creation of new markets based on more advanced digitizer tech.

However, I am just a small voice. If we want change, we need a larger organization with an actual vision for tablet-based productivity/content-creation to champion the cause. As far as I see, the only company that's doing that is MS with the Surface line.

5. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

Done. I wrote to N-Trig support as well as described my experience as an illustrator with the Sp3 in a new thread on the surfaceforums. I'd very much appreciate it if Microsoft/N-Trig would provide an update that increases pen accuracy and pen pressure controls. If they don't i won't keep the Sp3 because it's not useable for me.

6. Steve S

<<...If they don't i won't keep the Sp3...>>

...Unfortunately, although the updated driver is still in work, the latest news makes it sound like it's not going to arrive as soon as we hoped. There's been very little news about this in general...

7. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

That would be very unfortunate and disappointing.
    I like the SP3's look and feel and would like to keep it, but i have no use for it if i can't work on it.

8. Steve S

Following member adrians suggestion, I recently (21Sep14) decided to post to N-trig's support webpage, encouraging them to do whatever they could to encourage Microsoft to sign off and release the updated driver for the Pro 3. Their response was:

"...We are working on it now. We will release the option to change the pressure curve in our next FW in the coming month. - N-trig Customer Care Team..."

For reference, I assume they mean some time in October. This is certainly good news...

Marty, steven and ron2k_1 like this.
  9. adrians

adrians Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, you actually got a response, Steve? Nice! All I got was the automated response telling me they would get back to me. Nothing more came after that. Maybe your post was the additional pressure needed to generate a reply from them. Let's hope they're reasonably accurate about the time-frame.

10. Steve S

<<...Let's hope they're reasonably accurate about the time-frame...>>

...You and me both. In the past, N-trig hasn't always been good about keeping release dates like this, so we'll see...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.