Time for an N-trig software update - make yourself heard!

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by adrians, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrians

adrians Pen Pal - Newbie

Posted this on Reddit already - re-posting here in order to get as many people as possible involved.

I think it's been quite a while since we've had any updates to the N-trig digitizer software - both to the regular driver and the WinTab driver. With the regular driver, we get jitter when attempting to draw slower, more precise strokes. I know non-artists are not particularly bothered by this one point, but from what I've seen, there are enough people that do care.

Second, the WinTab driver needs addressing since at least one major creative application, Autodesk's SketchBook Pro 2015 suffers from loss of pressure sensitivity when this driver is installed and from lack of touch control when this driver is absent.

Third, a control panel of some kind is sorely needed to adjust the pen's pressure curve per user preference and, less importantly, to allow re-mapping of the pen's buttons per application. Without the pressure curve adjustment many people, myself included, report having to use too much pressure while sketching/drawing (in apps other than OneNote) and also not having every stroke register (particularly the beginning of strokes). This last issue happens even in OneNote and I would guess that a slight change in the pressure curve used could correct the problem.

I urge anyone who finds these issues to be important, to go to N-trig's support page and submit a report asking for status or feedback. I did my part just before posting here. Note that the submission form only seems to work from Internet Explorer (in Firefox, the submit button does nothing - not sure about Chrome).

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I urge anyone who finds these issues to be important, to go to N-trig's support page and submit a report asking for status or feedback...>>

+1. However, N-trig is not the problem. It's Microsoft. If you want to be effective, make your demand to them. It's been months since Paney's promise...

3. adrians

adrians Pen Pal - Newbie

Device drivers and supporting software are written by manufacturers and only 'qualified' by Microsoft, if at all. So, if N-trig can say that they've done their part, then, true, it's time to bring this up with Microsoft.

4. Steve S

N-trig is not the problem...

5. adrians

adrians Pen Pal - Newbie

Steve, if you know for a fact that N-trig have finished their work and it's now in Microsoft's hands can you state so plainly? The way you word things, I don't know if I should read this as a conjecture or characterization of the situation rather than being actual fact. I've got no problem accepting that N-trig has done their part, if that is the case. Hmm, maybe you work for N-trig... :) I suppose that could be a reason why you might not be at liberty to be really clear without risking to offend MS.

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I understand your frustrations, adrians, but let's focus on the problem, which is improvement of the digitizer performance.

With regards to drivers, MS will be most likely be the one's writing these. However, the firmware will be on the part of N-Trig. Another big role that N-Trig could play is listening to feedback to incorporate into the Duosense G5, since the G4 is overdue for a refresh imo.

I think MS pays attention to these threads and Reddit, but maybe Steve you have some other suggestions at getting MS' attention?

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've had email exchanges with both companies. N-Trig claims to be working on improving its pen technology and Microsoft claims to be close to completion of its promised pen control panel. Neither is willing to say how soon we'll be able to see these new developments for ourselves.

steven likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This has been my beef with N-Trig and manufacturers using their technology from day one. Software development is glacial. For us Slate 500 owners, when it finally did come, it was in the form of a new generation tablet.:vbmad:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    darkmagistric likes this.
  9. adrians

adrians Pen Pal - Newbie

I would think that Microsoft would write drivers higher up in the driver stack where they could do things at the level of a published API for that type of device. At the level where jitter elimination would come in, my guess is that the manufacturer is responsible given that any compensating algorithms are specific to that particular manufacturer's hardware implementation. It's hard to believe that MS is in the business of getting intimately familiar with the low level hardware details of the large number of hardware vendors they partner with. Of course I say this with the experience of being a software developer in a completely different part of the spectrum, so what do I know? :-/

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  10. Steve S

<<...I think MS pays attention to these threads and Reddit...>>

...As I posted recently in another discussion thread, Microsoft is aware of our forum, but I don't know how much traction we have with them. As a business, Microsoft has many competing concerns and some of them are more important to them than user / customer comments.

Having said that and based on my experience, I think that member adrians has the right general idea. Reddit and the Surface forums have good visibility, and creating visibility in those forums, as well as here, should provide some grass roots indication that we want Microsoft to follow through on their promises. After all, they were the ones that promised this, and the implication was it would be sooner rather than later. It's not like we're asking for something completely unexpected, here.

Posting at N-trig probably can't hurt, but it won't be as effective as the above.

I may not have much more to say about this topic, but do not mistake my lack of commentary as disinterest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.