Thunderbolt or plain USB-C hub that supports dual monitors

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by yodamiked, Oct 6, 2018.

1. yodamiked

yodamiked Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this gets touched on in various device specific threads, but this is my first time looking into a hub to set up a home workstation.

I just bought the HP elite x2 1012 G2 as part of a crazy deal on eBay, and as it has both usb c and thunderbolt, was wanting to get a good workstation set up.

Anyone willing to give me the lowdown on what I should be looking for, how these things work, or any recommendations?

From what I can find, usb c hubs support dual monitors, so it doesn’t seem a thunderbolt hub is strictly necessary, but do all usb c hubs support this. Also how do you know if they support pass through charging?

Thanks for helping someone ignorant on the subject! :oops::)

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm no expert either. For some reason thunderbolt docks are insanely expensive. These things must have an 800% markup.. So unless you have super high resolution monitors, or are backing up large amounts of data to an SSD connected to the dock, I'd say go to USB-C.

Personally my approach is: go to Amazon, check popular products (say 200+ reviews, 4 stars or better), read some three star reviews, search for keyword HP or elite, search for charge. It's a bit of work, but it's usually instructive.