Thunderbolt or plain USB-C hub that supports dual monitors

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by yodamiked, Oct 6, 2018.

1. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

I know this gets touched on in various device specific threads, but this is my first time looking into a hub to set up a home workstation.

I just bought the HP elite x2 1012 G2 as part of a crazy deal on eBay, and as it has both usb c and thunderbolt, was wanting to get a good workstation set up.

Anyone willing to give me the lowdown on what I should be looking for, how these things work, or any recommendations?

From what I can find, usb c hubs support dual monitors, so it doesn’t seem a thunderbolt hub is strictly necessary, but do all usb c hubs support this. Also how do you know if they support pass through charging?

Thanks for helping someone ignorant on the subject! :oops::)

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm no expert either. For some reason thunderbolt docks are insanely expensive. These things must have an 800% markup.. So unless you have super high resolution monitors, or are backing up large amounts of data to an SSD connected to the dock, I'd say go to USB-C.

Personally my approach is: go to Amazon, check popular products (say 200+ reviews, 4 stars or better), read some three star reviews, search for keyword HP or elite, search for charge. It's a bit of work, but it's usually instructive.

3. chx1975

chx1975 Pen Pal - Newbie

4. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks both! Very helpful!

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to get rid of the 1012 G2. Although the device is pretty much perfect IMO, my unit has PWM at all brightness levels (which unfortunately gives me severe headaches). Seems the review units on the internet had different panels, and thus why they found different PWM figures.

However, this will be a good resource when I finally do find the device I'm looking for.