Throttling on SP3: What can we do if Microsoft does not?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by lonaysta, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Maybe this should be your signature. Pretty impressive list. :thumbsup:

2. playsted

playsted Pen Pal - Newbie

Being thin doesn't automatically excuse a 50% dip in sustained performance. Strictly from a thermal perspective being thin doesn't mean it cools worse. It may make it more difficult to fit a cooling system in. It may make it so the chip is closer to other parts of the device that you don't want heating up. It may make the device as a whole feel hotter. But the thinness alone doesn't suddenly make heat dissipate worse, it could actually help things since the whole device basically turns into a heat sink!

3. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think part of it also is that the SP3 only has one fan, the SP2 had 2 fans. I'm sure that helped them make it thinner, but sacrifices apparently had to be made somewhere.

4. playsted

playsted Pen Pal - Newbie

1 vs 2 isn't really important when they aren't the same fans...

Much larger SP3 fan: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/fwQbqIoTWGodUoVn.huge

Smaller SP2 fans: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/2RPjdxZgRFebOo1W.huge

If I still had a SP2 I'd try to see the efficiency between the two but my impression is that they cooling setups are similar. The issue is the throttling profile.

5. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

Those are great pics. Does make me wonder if these are just copper or actual heat pipes. The SP3's look thinner and possibly too thin to be heat pipes. Heat conduction is a function of area. So making these thinner will reduce the heat transfer.

6. tallshorty

tallshorty Pen Pal - Newbie

In my estimation the SP3 design was originally for the Broadwell chip but because it got delayed they put the Haswell in it for now. So that could be why we are seeing thermal issues. Once broadwell is released I bet they will keep the design of SP3 (just like they did with SP1 and SP2), put broadwell in it and call it SP4 and all the thermal problems will go away. But that wont help us early adopters.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    lonaysta likes this.
  7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Thanks....I try to keep my customer list off the interwebs (as often their own employees don't realize I'm a consultant)

8. jnjroach

They are actually liquid cooled heat pipes on the SP3

More info here:

sp3mobo.jpg

BTW - In the blank space the SP3 uses 4 batteries

9. jnjroach

My theory was that the SP3 is the original and intended design of the SP2 but MS had Chassis from the SP1 leftover and needed to use them, as the SP3 matches the esthetics of the Surface 2, and as those Chassis were used up they started ramping up the SP3 specifically using the same innards for the back to school rush.

10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's very interesting. It seems like the SP3 fan actually takes up more space than the SP2 fans, at least that's how it seems to my eye. If they used the same battery and chassis then where exactly did they shave off the thickness?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.