Thread locking - still necessary?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by JoeS, Jul 9, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I was trying to quote some old threads, but they were locked. Not a huge problem, but it would be nice if we could at least quote messages from locked threads with the +quote button.

And not to jinx this, but spam doesn't seem to be much of a problem, maybe because there's lots of spam deletion going on behind the scenes? If it's not a big problem anymore, I'd prefer as many threads to stay unlocked as possible.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@JoeS : I don't know why so many threads are showing up suddenly locked. I'm certainly not doing it. I wonder if it's some sort of automatic function?

@Charles P. Jefferies ?

JoeS likes this.
  3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

Threads over one year are locked to increase our thread turnover. You can unlock them if you wish to reply, but you should be creating new threads.

Charles

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I hear you, but this kinda destroys the wealth of still-relevant content on subjects and devices contributed by TPCR superstars (ie, this aint no Reddit;)). Why not let folks update old threads when the new poster finds it more appropriate than starting a new one relative to the point/question, rather than start a new one and leave all the history tucked away? What's the downside?

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

We'll honor requests to open old threads if you wish to reply to them. Post the link(s) here and a moderator will handle it.
    Thread turnover is part of forum management, it's a forum "health" indicator, so to speak, so we want as many new threads to be created as possible. As I said, it's not a problem to open an old thread or two if you want to reply to them.

Charles

JoeS likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks Charles. I don't know if we are "unhealthy," but check out New Posts and there are quite a lot of multi-year threads. Maybe we're just lazy :p

JoeS likes this.