Thoughts On The New RTX 2080 Graphics Card?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Steve S, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I'm interested to know if anyone has any thoughts on the new "ray-tracing capable" nVidia RTX 2080x graphics cards. Supposedly more "real world" capable in raster computations than current graphics cards, the first releases are quite expensive. Yet because of the computational difficulty of ray tracing complex scenes, their ray tracing capabilities (when games finally implement them) are thought to be barely good enough to handle moderately complicated scenes. One source believes that it will take two or three generations before these cards will have robust ray-tracing capabilities on games that implement ray tracing.

So the question is: Do you think it's worth it to buy a RTX 2080 today?

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think most of the blogosphere has already declared it "not worth it", but pre-orders for the Founder's Editions have already sold out.

I often wonder if the tech press has any effect at all with market leading products. It's like Apple "pro" laptops that can release with terrible keyboards, no SD slot, and sky-high prices and still sell out.

I'll wait for reviews, but I'm not getting my hopes up: shader core count and clock speeds do not point to any great performance leap (in conventional graphics), and Nvidia is still seems unwilling to support FreeSync or VRR, thereby locking you into ultra-expensive monitors.

How bout you Steve, are you looking to upgrade your desktop rig?

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm super excited for the possibility of real-time ray tracing effect mixed into scenes. I think the idea is not to render each frame fully with ray tracing, but rather augment scenes using relatively few rays, for example to add luminosity from off-screen objects into scenes. It will probably be a while (months? a year?) before the various game publishers get around to adding these things to their engines and games, so no rush on getting one.

That said, even if I would get my hands on one, sticking it in a TB3 eGPU box and connecting it to my i7 X1 Yoga it would end up being severely CPU limited, so no go for me. And that's before making any budgetary considerations.. :)

Azzart likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...are you looking to upgrade your desktop rig?..>>

...Only maybe. I've been doing my reading, and I think I understand some of the trades between single and dual graphics. I find it interesting that the consensus seems to be that a single, very capable card is preferred over (usually lesser) dual cards, hence the question about the RTX 2080.

HOWEVER, some of these write-ups are from several years ago, making me wonder if SLI and CrossFire problems (stuttering, invisible walls, etc) have been resolved in contemporary devices...? And, again, maybe these first-round cards aren't sufficiently better (than, say, a GTX 1070 or 1080) so as to justify their cost...

Marty likes this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Whatever they'll perform, it is the first innovation I see in this field since years so I can only see good things on three new cards. :)

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just thought it fair to mention, ray tracing was demoed on PowerVR mobile GPUs over two years ago:

It is not so much innovation, as "re-novation" with a fresh coat of paint that the industry seems to fond of these days. :p

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

And where is that power vr now? :D
    I have to admit I closed the video after 4 minutes due to an excess of yadda yadda.

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I would wait 2 more GPU hardware gens for raytraced games at decent res abd framerates. Say 2 or 3 years.