Thoughts on screen protectors

Discussion in 'Asus' started by WillAdams, Jan 12, 2015.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just applied (well tried to) an Illumishield matte screen protector.

Went on almost perfectly the first time, save for a small speck of dirt. Managed to eliminate that, but there are now a few bubbles I despair of clearing out. Hopefully I'll do better w/ the second when l apply it.

Matte surface is nice, and no longer having the screen be an oily smear is a huge improvement. Concerns:

• increased stylus tip wear?
    • will the adhesive damage the screen?
    • how long will it last?

2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I'm not too familiar with that brand. But I always use matte protectors for a more natural experience when using the pen.

They come off clean so don't worry about the adhesive residue. The will wear faster but to me is worth it. My Photodon has last me over a year now and not much wear is visible.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

3. WillAdams

Thanks.

One more question: Is the tip on the Asus Note stylus replaceable? If so, is it the same tip as other Wacom styluses?

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have been unable to replace the tip. It won't come out. I have an S10 eraser pen with replacement tips. Ive used the silo pen only when my others are not readily at hand and I have not noticed excessive wear.

5. WillAdams

Thanks.

One further observation. In addition to the nice paper-like feel, there's also an added bit of noise, which I'm finding distracting.

6. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I don't have the Asus and I thought you'd have spare pens that accepted standard nibs you can buy for under 10 bucks from amazon.

There is some resistance and it creates a noise that resembles pencil on paper. It's not distracting to me, I like tactile and audible feedback.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

7. WillAdams

Yes, I have spare pens, but I'm finding I like and use the included stylus more than I'd thought I would.

I like the tactile feedback as well, but I'm also finding it distracting, esp. at night when it's quiet.

Any suggestions on how to remove the screen protector and store it for later re-use? I'm going to take it outside when I get a chance, and unless it markedly improves the outdoor viewability (it improved it quite a bit, but not as much as I need / expect coming from a Fujistu Stylistic ST-4121), I think I'm going to give up on it.

I can see why some people like them, but maybe I can source that liquid oleophobic coating instead.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015