Thoughts on pen-computing in 2015

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jamon, Nov 23, 2015.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I get where you're coming from. I see it too.

There's a sort of consumerist gushing going on. It seems to come built-in with culture these days. Not counting under-the-hood muscle, (which new devices have in spades over last decade's models), I've yet to see a single new portable product which holds a candle to my old legacy beater in terms of screen size and stylus responsiveness.

Well.., the iPad Pro and the Surface Book come close. -But not ten years worth of development close. And still only close.

But I think you're also being a little unfair. There has been a lot of smart and savvy criticism among forum members regarding the new tech. Nobody is blind to the flaws, and I'm sure if you gave them a real winner, they'd know it and appreciate it. What I think you're seeing is enthusiasm about trying out the new tech, and more, that there IS any new development and investment at all.

This has been a pretty sparse field until recently.

And it's going to get better rather quickly, I think. (Though, I somehow doubt we're going to see new outdoor-suitable screens any time soon. Sadly, culture seems to have stopped caring about working outdoors.)

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

To be honest the MUI OneNote was a free app and if Microsoft wants to connect that to an account we can all opt out by using the paid version. We all know that there are no free lunches.

Balbutio ergo sum

3. tarc

tarc Pen Pal - Newbie

The Motion Computing LE1600 was a good tablet experience for me.

It had good readability outside, not much space between the screen and the pen, IPS display, excellent battery life, stylus silo.

There was a lot of attention to detail on this product, I liked the programmable physical buttons and the second outside battery was very convenient.

The screen broke just recently after a 5ft drop..

Attached Files:

4. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It just hit me that everything you guys are talking about in here is why I don't feel as much excitement in the Tablet PC market as I did a few years ago, and thus I only drop by here on occasion.

The closest thing to exciting in recent memory was the Wacom Cintiq Companion 2, and that's more to do with it fixing a long-standing oversight in existing Tablet PCs, including its own direct predecessors: the ability to function as an external monitor with pen and touch to a more powerful system while still being able to function as a standalone tablet PC, no complicated Linux liveboots or VNC server setup necessary.

Too bad it also carries the expected Wacom tax and won't sell for a reasonable price any time soon. Guess I better learn to live with my T902 and its quirky digitizer firmware that neither Fujitsu nor Wacom will ever get around to fixing for a little while longer.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. FiDeLiuS

FiDeLiuS Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, there's many things to be frustrated about. At least the Surface series is bringing back a reasonable screen aspect ratio and other manufacturers seem to follow. Sadly the outlook doesn't seem that good for bezel buttons.
    Software wise i really miss the old TIP there was on Windows 7....i mean who the heck thougt it was a good idea to handwrite at the bottom of a screen, where you haven't got a place to rest your palm?
    They obviously never experienced the ankward feeling of getting at the bottom of a notepad sheet and crampingly filling up the last free space on that page instead of turnig the page writing on comfortably on top of the next page ;)

...hope i don't troll around too much and wreck my rep already in the first posts.

6. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, with the latest "Pen Remoting" capability in remote desktop protocol, we are very close to turning any windows tablet pc to a cintiq companion alternative. The only thing missing is sharing the clipboard. I hope some 3rd party remote control software like TeamViewer can utilize the latest RDP to allow pen remoting.

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

In Windows you can share clipboard through Dito, a freeware app.

Yes, I'm happy to see you and that is a Sony Xperia in my pocket

8. ThorntonArtStudio.com

ThorntonArtStudio.com Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree that wacom emr is smoother than ntrig, but respectfully disagree on the rest. (especially screen quality)

Surface Pro is more versatile than any tablet pc before it, with breakthroughs like the 2x3 ratio and great kickstand. The laminated screen is print quality. I sold my Cintiq!

iPad Pro is more fluid than anything ever. It can now do 8k digital painting for professional printmaking.

The Companion has far superior Wacom technology than any tablet pc before it.

There's more powerful Wacom EMR tablets than ever still churning out, in more sizes than ever.

These are also the first tablets with enough power to do full blown 2d and (excluding iPad) 3d work.

I think you just really prefer Wacom, are disappointed that Microsoft chose NTrig, and aren't excited by iOS. And I respect that.

WillAdams and HeavyHanded like this.
  9. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I recall RDPing into my desktop from my T902 (both run Win10), only to find a complete lack of pen pressure. Might have to finagle with it some more.

In other news, I just recalled another reason why tablet computing's boring these days.
    http://anandtech.com/show/9822/best-convertible-laptops-holiday-2015

"This final installment will focus on convertibles. This category sprouted out of nowhere with the release of Windows 8"

Stopped right there because we all know how old the convertible Tablet PC really is - literally decades old, if you go as far back as the GRiD Systems 2260 Convertible from the late '80s.

Then I scroll down to the attachable keyboard section: "ASUS basically invented this class, with the launch of the original T100 back in 2013."

Oh, let's just forget that Compaq beat them to the punch over the decade ago with the TC1000 and had a better detachable keyboard design than anyone on the market today, why don't we?

It really sinks in that only the folks here actually know anything about tablet PCs. Can't count on most other tech blogs to deliver the kind of info I'm looking for, especially with the pen being treated as enough of an afterthought that most people can't identify what digitizer's being used.

kvoram likes this.
  10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

...and Anandtech is a serious, respected computer hardware review website. But I won't hold this against them; whenever you're more deeply acquainted with a topic than the average person, you always run into these wildly inaccurate articles that are passed off as reliable in the mainstream press.