Thoughts on notetaking and using the SP3

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I took my SP3 out with me at lunch, I'm opening a new office and thought it would help taking notes with hunting for office space. My expectations were to have nice neat notes intermixed with pictures of offices and contact information.

In practice it was a bit tougher than that. Firstly the SP3 is VERY tough to use in sunlight, it just was not very viewable even at max brightness, which of course would do wonders for the battery life. Another annoying thing was this thing is pitch black with polarized sunglasses. Polarized viewing is hit or miss, the iphone is horrible but my note 3 is ok for example. But even with the iphone I can still see the screen, but with the SP3 it literally was pitch black. The first time I turned it on at 50% brightness I h onestly thought it was bugged and would not boot up so I reset it. When it wouldn't boot up I took off my glasses and realized it was booted up, I just couldn't see the screen. Add to that how insanely glossy the screen is, bleh.

On to note taking. I need a bit more practice with one note, but it seemed a bit tough to really do anything other than jot quick notes down. I think onenote needs to be revamped to cater to someone out in the field holding his SP3 while walking around and doing things. Taking pictures was tough, but that's what you get with a tablet, but inserting them in was fairly painless. The camera on the SP3 is VERY slow, as you pan around to get a shot it jitters and stutters wildly. In the end I used my note 3 camera instead and manually added the pictures.

On the pen function, very accurate and nice. The pen on screen is a bit too slick though. To combat the glare and slickness I may consider a matte screen protector, even though I hate them this may be a necessity. Oh and don't get me started on oil and fingertip schmegma getting on the screen. If MS wants to position this as a note taking device then I suggest they use some R&D to invent some technology to make this more like paper in all these ways. There is room for improvement beyond cpu and other things these guys concentrate on.

Contact info: I didn't see an option to add this in, it would be nice especially if this was used on a phone. Maybe have a tag that contained address, phone, notes, etc.

Geolocation: This might have been nifty to have, to be able to map out the office spaces I looked at and link that to my notes, in particular the single entries and/or contact tags.

Keep in mind this was with the mobile version, I haven't played much with the desktop version. I think a 8" tablet would be more conducive to taking notes in the field. The smaller/lighter form factor would make it easier to walk around and take pictures. Also I highly missed not having a pen silo, for anyone that thinks this isn't a negative I highly beg to differ. I was constantly looking for a place to put the stylus and even almost lost it a couple of times.

I won't be using this for note taking in the field often so it's not a big deal, but if anyone has suggestions or thoughts on this feel free to comment.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    demandarin likes this.
  2. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Those were some of my observations when I played with it
    at the MS store .
    I concluded the pen is ok for casual note taking.
    Try the desktop version of Onenote and see if there is a difference .
    MS has done all the peripheral tricks it can muster to get better battery life
    but it does come at a cost .
    I have a feeling your marriage contract with this little cutie may not
    last long. I just sense your apprehension about this great device
    that may not be for everyone . I sense the ambivalence and am not sure
    if there is a real solution to your predicament .
    This device should not require too many tweaks given it's lofty status.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

The size and the thinness, coupled with the smooth back, all combine to make it difficult to hold with one hand. The Elitepad is in the same situation and is also difficult to hold in one hand but at least the overall size is smaller. The Elitepad has the advantage of having the Expansion Sleeve which increases the thickness but also the weight. The increase in thickness makes it much more managable.

What the SP3 may need is an attachable back strap to be able to slide one hand in and then get a good grip. Trying to hold it on the small bezel is making it very difficult for one handed operations.

The sunlight performance, however, is a different matter. To me, however, the SP3 is not in its element doing this sort of thing outside. It is more developed for inside duty in a non-rugged environment. An 'executive's' TabletPC and not really a device to develop punch lists for a construction site or use by a building inspector.

4. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I want a case like the armourdog for the TPT2 that is designed for the SP3. That has a carrying handle, and the design would also accommodate the SP3's kickstand in all its positions. I've asked Lente Designs (makers of the armourdog cases) and they have one in the pipeline for the TP10, but they are not sure about the SP3.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yup. Why Microsoft did not include a Broadcomm GNSS chip, I'll never know... It wouldn't have been much of a hit on the battery life, and anyway it can always be turned off in the PC settings if it makes the user feel better.

demandarin likes this.
  6. toucan

toucan Pen Pal - Newbie

This is in the radial context menu... with the little "paper" icon thingy on the note, you can hit the "Tag" menu item to get "Contact" and other items.

Osiris and spinedoc77 like this.
  7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Yup, this is what would be needed to anchor the unit in one hand and free up the other to write while walking/standing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Maybe the thread title should be changed to "Prequel to dstraussing"?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hey, we were specifically asked not to invent any more Strauss related verbs like prestraussing. I mean it's bad enough that destraussing has become synonymous with falling out of love with a tablet and returning it, just like restraussing has become synonymous with reconsidering the return of the tablet. If prestraussing becomes synonymous with considering the return of a troubled tablet, I fear we might be going too far. I have firmly restraussed my SP2 though.

(Dale, I hope it's not really upsetting you!)

dstrauss, Osiris, Bronsky and 2 others like this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So dstraussable, meaning possible to dstrauss, dstraussproof meaning the ultimate in computer features, and dstraussphilia being enamored of the dstrauss process are now on the taboo list?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.