Thoughts on Android 10" Tablet?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Steve S, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...I'm not really an Android person, so although I know about the hardware, I don't go out of my way to research it very much. My son has asked for a 10" Android tablet for Christmas. He's thinking Asus, whom I think makes a good product, but I'm wondering if Samsung might be a better choice. He's going to be running EFB applications (Electronic Flight Bag, aviation maps and tracking apps). He's using an iPad now, but says that he prefers the Android OS.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Asus, Samsung (or anyone else) in the 10" range? Cost isn't an issue, I just want to get him a brand that will perform well in use...

2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I would lean towards Samsung. They seem to do a good job of standing by their hardware - offering android updates for older hardware for a longer time than other manufactures. I was shocked when my Tab A 9.7 got an upgrade to 7 recently. They also have the market penetration and presence at a level where accessories are more readily available.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Steve S

Thanks, viola...

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For Android I would stick to Samsung. Its on the pricer side....but the Tab S3 is beautiful tablet. Super thin, high res & bright screen, 9.7 inch 3/4 Aspect Ratio....its got a keyboard cover option (extra charge :( ), and its got the EMR S-Pen (no silo though)....so if you ever want to seduce your son into the Tablet PC darkside...or if he wants to experiment with digital art....you pretty much have the perfect gateway drug. Granted this tablet is....a tad old....almost a year old.....but its still Samsungs top tablet.....and really the best Android alternative to the Ipad Pro. If money is not an issue.....get him this one.

samsung-galaxy-tab-s3-5917-030.jpg

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Asus, Huawei and some other makers have a tendency to abandon their products when they release a new model. Samsung and LG are moderately better, the best is actually Amazon but it is a pain to get Google Play Store on to those devices.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Steve S

Thanks dark & Kuma!

7. Steve S

So now it can be told:

Thanks to everyone who responded. I ended up getting my son the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 after test driving it at my local Best Buy. Suffice to say that he was very happy with that choice! He's going to install some aviation applications on it this afternoon and take it flying with him tomorrow (he's just on the verge of getting his instrument rating). He particularly likes the pen which he'll use to keep notes on radio frequencies. All in all, it looks like a great gift choice. Thanks again to all for the help!

Azzart and artistebot like this.
  8. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Awesome.

I use myTab S3 for art all the time. The Tab A 10.1 w s-pen is also pretty good.