This software for the EP121 looks amazing, can we use it on the Slate? Hotkeys.

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by timpaatkins, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

2. tveek

tveek Pen Pal - Newbie

As far as I know, no one has made a modified version of the script that works for the S7 yet. I haven't gotten my slate yet (waiting to file my tax return and use that $$), but once I do I'm going to see if I can figure this out. The script is just awesome for tablet use and it hopefully can be configured for use on other tablet PCs.

Looking at the translation of Koide's bulletin board, I see there are some people that are trying to get the script working on the x220t as well as the HP tm2. In Koide's latest comment, the following method was suggested:

1. Download and run the following tool:
      http://39kasen.sakura.ne.jp/rawinputcontroltest/tool_RawInputCheck2.ahk
    2. While running the tool, you should touch the bottom right of the "Raw value" and explore the maximum value.
    3. "Raw max" X the value of the maximum value of each fixed Y. (not sure about this step, probably lost in translation slightly. Plus I don't have a device to test this with yet for clarification).
    4. You touch the screen "screen" Verify the touch position coordinates of the matching value. If you get the correct coordinates, "Raw max" then proceed to the next step ahead.
    5. Modify the RawInputControlTest.ahk with the correct Maxrawx and Maxrawy values:

I'm not sure if these steps will be sufficient or not, but it's probably worth a shot. There may be digitizer driver issues as well that prevent everything from working properly.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi,

There are two different scripts here.

First, the amazing original script was developed by a Japanese guy and is used for art programs. See the first two links on the fist post above. This script is absolutely great it is a real game-changer if you are an artist using a Windows tablet PC. Once you understand how it works, you can easily customize it and the possibilities are virtually endless! I think timpaatkins is right that you need this for the S7!
    We have discussed this script extensively on the EP121 forum:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/44844-found-you-great-tool-your-ep121-must-see.html
    The script doesn't work right now on the S7 but Greg (maybe someone from here?) posted on the developer's blog that he had some success with the S7 using the procedure mentioned by tveek. So maybe there is hope for S7 owners and owners of other tablets.

Second, I took the original script and made it into something completely different for the EP121 and that's the link at the bottom of timpaatkins' post. If you want to know what this is about, see the pdf file on post#12 of the following thread:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/45210-app-better-touch-experience-ep121.html
    I developed this app to provide a better touch experience on the EP121. It does exactly all I need and has really increased the joy of using my slate, especially for using Firefox. And now setting things like screen brightness, turning WiFi and BlueTooth on/off are all one touch away! Hopefully when Windows 8 comes out, something like this won't be necessary but for now this is the next best thing for me.
    Since the original script doesn't work on the S7, this app won't work either. However, if I read Greg's comments correctly, even though not all the functions of the original script work with the fix above, I think this app should actually work. I don't have a S7 but if anyone is interested in trying the fix above on the original script and sharing their experience, I think I could pretty easily adapt this app for the S7 if anyone is interested.

4. Johnno

Johnno Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there! I recently got the samsung slate 7 and have fiddled alot with the script. Tablet pc's are hard to use effectively without buttons, andd this script sounds amasing!

However, i have had little progress. It works, though, but the buttons are offset heaps, to the point where u tap the bottom of the screen to hit pageup. This didnt bother me though, so i tried to reprogram it to be undo (downkey:!^z) but that hasnt done anything yet. Im willing to experiment with it if it could yeild results =]

5. lblb

Hey,

I think Samsung 7 users may not be too far away from having this great script work on their slate! Artists (almost) rejoice! For the others interested in my extension to an app to ease the touch experience: if the original script works, than mine should work too.

On the blog for the original script, the author (koide) posted this morning a new version that may work for the S7S. I don't own a S7S so I can't verify but here is what you need to do:

1) Download the zip file and extract the script at the very top of the page where it says "English version can be downloaded here":
    RawInputControlTest.ahk

2) Go to his blog and download the first file (right-click then save as) from post 19. This should have the name RawInputControlTest.ahk (make sure that it has the .ahk extension). His blog is here:
    http://39kasen.sakura.ne.jp/rawinputcontroltest/bbs/light.cgi

3) Swap the file of the same name you extracted in 1) for the file you downloaded in 2).

4) Install the correct version of AutoHotkey available here:
    http://l.autohotkey.net/

5) Double-click the ahk file and see if the script works. You should see a panel on the left side of the screen. Are the buttons responsive?

Just report back here and I'll see what I can do with my app.

6. tveek

tveek Pen Pal - Newbie

This will be awesome if the new script works on the S7S. Will make a huge difference when making art. Thanks for the updates!

7. emireruyan

emireruyan Pen Pal - Newbie

I just tried it, works perfect. Even with 3 fingers and pen input at the same time.

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Wow. That makes the S7 about 50 times sexier to me as an artist.

9. lblb

It is indeed great that the original script works on systems others than the EP121. While this thread doesn’t have the kind of traction that I would expect for this game-changing software, I’m sure that the thread will be on fire when the S7 artists realize just how great this software is! (And Steve_B, you may want to head over to the developer’s blog and ask about the tablet you are using right now. I’m sure you would enjoy this script!)

About the app I developed from this script:
    The original script is great for use with art programs. Starting from this script, I developed a completely different app that I use to have a better touch experience on the EP121. It’s been really great for my needs. Some S7 users have expressed their interest for this app and I’d be happy to adapt it for the S7. However, since I don’t own a S7, I would need someone to provide answers to the questions below. Very sorry if that seems like a lot, but that’s the only way I can make sure everything will work. If those questions are not answered, I can’t help you any further. Just tryin' to help here!

Below is a very preliminary version of the app for the S7. Can anyone download it and install it in the correct folder following the instructions in the pdf file (you probably shouldn’t download it yet if you’re not interested in answering the questions):

RawInputControl_MultiPanel_2_S7_Prelim.zip

Now that the app is installed in the right folder, start it by double-clicking the file RawInputControl_MultiPanel.ahk. (You’ll need the correct version of AutoHotkey installed for this to work. See the instructions in the pdf file.)

Questions:

1) Since the EP121 has a different resolution than the S7, my first question is: Do you see all six of the small boxes in landscape mode? Do you see them in portrait mode?

2) When you press any of the six boxes, do the panels appear? This should work based on the fact that users report that the original script works on the S7. If the panels don’t appear, then I guess it probably means that the original script doesn’t work either (or that I screwed something up).

3) You can change the screen brightness through the Windows Mobility Center. When you use the brightness slider on the Windows Mobility Center, what are the available brightness levels? (For example, on the EP121 only the following levels are accessible: 100, 80, 65, 55, 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, 25, 20%.)

4) If you follow the instructions on p.16 of the pdf file, you should be able to get the DEV_XXXX and PID_XXXX numbers for your WiFi card and Bluetooth module, respectively. Can anyone who hasn’t made any change to the hardware of the S7 (i.e. hasn’t changed the WiFi card nor the Bluetooth module) post the numbers here?

Hopefully the panels are responsive right now and you can answer the following questions:

5) When you adjust the DEV_XXXX and PID_XXXX numbers in the text file as explained on p.16 of the instructions and restart the app, do the WiFi on/off and Bluetooth on/off buttons on the Settings panel of this app work?
    The best way to see if they work:
    For WiFi buttons: open up the Windows Mobility Center (which you can do by using the Settings panel of the multipanel app). When you turn off WiFi using the multipanel app, does it turn it off in the Mobility Center?
    For Bluetooth buttons: When BT is on, there should be a blue BT icon in your system tray. If you turn off BT using the multipanel app, that icon should disappear or become gray. Note that turning off BT (either by using the app or by right-clicking on the tray icon) is not possible when there is a BT item (like the BT keyboard) that is connected (at least this is the case on the EP121).

6) On the Settings panel of this app, do the following buttons work:

Brightness up

Brightness down

Brightness 20%

Brightness slider

When you just tap the brightness slider (with no upward or downward movement), does the brightness go back to 100%?

Touch on/off

7) Can anyone create shortcuts to the three power plans High Performance, Balanced and Power Saver following the instructions on p.14 of the pdf file? Can you replace the existing ones with the ones you just created (see p.14), restart the app and see if the three buttons to change power plans on the Settings panel of this app work? (You can easily see if they work if you first open Power Options, which you can do from the Settings panel.)

8) If the power plans buttons work, can anyone post the three shortcuts here?

9) On the Settings panel of this app, do the TabletPC Settings and the Pen Tablet Properties (to the right of the Touch on/off button) work at all?

10) On the Settings panel of this app, do the screen rotation buttons work?

11) The Dimmer.exe program that opens up when the Dim button is pushed on the Settings panel of this app was created for the EP121. Does it work at all with the S7?

12) On the Text Input panel, does the Tablet Input Panel button (to the left of the Touch on/off button) work?

13) On the Entertainment panel do the following buttons work:

Volume slider

Sound

Volume mixer

Volume up

Volume down

Again, sorry for the long list, I'm just trying to help those who requested a version for the S7!

10. jamesT

jamesT Pen Pal - Newbie

Damn, it works! This is incredible for art!!! I must learn how to customize this...where do I even start?

Infinite thanks for posting with instructions. These kind of contributions have made my Slate experience great. With such useful customizations, it's become a near perfect digital art tablet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.