This is what i have wanted for such a long time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by siddhartth, Oct 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Staedler'Wacom Pencil, which despite being cute and comfy, isn't as popular because of lack of pocketability. But Bic's foray into tech is much more practical and meaningful and even more importantly is a necessary push that Wacom EMR and digital note taking tablets/phablets need. This has the potential to bring digital Notetaking and also EMR to the mainstream.

You wouldn't demand a seperate silo for the Stylus in your Phone or tablet if the Stylus is not exclusive to it. Plus it has a pocket clip and is compatible with any piece of paper.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    hiramkey and Marty like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

hmm......that looks really interesting.....but if it is EMR....I think they are making somewhat of a mistake. So few devices use EMR....Just most of Samsungs Stuff, the Zbook, and the Acer Switch.....older EMR devices would have a nib to cursor offset and potential wonky pressure control....and the Cintiq caliber of EMR I doubt would work. Just given how much more well adopted Wacom AES is in a general sense....AES would be more useful, but then they'd have to account for powering the pen which would be more difficult I'd imagine.

That all being said.....as an owner of the Zbook, Galaxy Book, and Note 9......if it is EMR.....I would be the perfect consumer to buy one.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'd avoid this.

Good-E-Reader aftermarket support is non-existent.

I've got one of their big 12" units, and it's a crying shame.

They came up with great hardware, but they just slapped a buggy version of Android on the thing and shipped.

There's no way to properly power down the unit I have, and no help desk to ask at.

Even with every bell and whistle muted, WiFi turned off along with every other energy drain I could think of, the unit still runs its battery dry in less than 48 hours just sitting on a desk. The whole point of e-ink is that the screen takes no power when it's displaying an image! One battery charge is supposed to last for hundreds of page views or several months. Does that happen? No. I need to charge it several times just to read one book!

The only way to preserve the battery is to completely power down, which means 5 minute start-up times, and then having to reload whatever book you were reading, because it forgets and the GUI and reader software are just crap-app nonsense. It's very difficult to navigate or zoom into a document. It's basically easier and less frustrating and all-round more satisfying to mail order a hard copy of whatever book you're trying to read than it is to suffer through the software on my unit.

If they had created decent software to pair with their hardware, then they might have a product, but these guys aren't fully competent in my humble opinion. They need to make some strategic hires and get their act together.

*****UPDATE

I just checked; there is an update which came out that supposedly improves battery life by about 40-50% for one of their more recent models. I'll have to find a WiFi spot to update since you can't do it over USB and hope that it applies to my older model. (Still don't see how that's much of an improvement; my old Sony eReader was small, but it lasted for months on a single charge. Android is not a good fit for these devices.)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    WillAdams likes this.
  4. siddhartth

I am mostly just interested in the pen it has the same nib thickness in the newer Samsung EMR pen. I think it can be a lot more easier to carry and comfortable to write with than the SPens Samsung makes.

Also, such a dual mechanism can not be implemented in AES pens which require a huge space for battery and circuitry. This pen has a replaceable ballpoint refill.

I personally i am not at all interested in grayscale eink readers, they are not good for handwriting because of slow display refresh also, people from science and art backgrounds need colours.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My interest is purely in the pen itself as well. The tablet I could care less for

siddhartth likes this.
  6. siddhartth

Yeah with this type of pen out, i wouldn't mind if Samsung gets rid of the pen silo and dedicates it to battery. We know only Apple and wacom can provide that smoothness and Wacom has been the only one that has been able to reduce the size of their nibs so much for such a great precision. Fat nib of Apple Pencil is impossible to work with on a phone. Wacom EMR is still the king when it comes to precision work, i still don't know despite success of Samsung and Huwawei Penabled phones are not yet a thing. I do wonder about the Huwawei's Pen tech, it resembled Apple Pencil in construction but it had a significantly finer nib. Anybody ever used That? It also came in a more traditional pocket clip size and dimensions.

7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Note that the Staedler Noris Digital Stylus is actually a small insert in a larger pencil body --- you can cut it down to whatever length you'd like (down to the length of the insert and sufficient material to hold it in place), or remove the insert and place it into anything which you'd like --- it's unfortunate that the shape doesn't seem to directly match a pen refill.

8. siddhartth

Montblanc has 2 pens with replaceable Wacom modules that match exactly their analog ballpoint refill. But i will argue that Bic's solution is superior to Montblanc's and much more so than Staedler's. Staedler is a pure digital stylus thus not at all versatile and only useful on EMR devices and on top of that it's not Pocketable. Montblanc's pen's can be potentially versatile but you will need to carry a seperate carrying case for its analog refill and replace the Wacom module every time you need to sign a physical paper or jot down a quick message on a piece of paper or a napkin, that makes it so inconvenient that it becomes impractical. Bic's pen is Analog and Wacom both at the same time and it's ballpoint refills will be considerably much cheaper than Montblanc's.

But unfortunately all EMR devices come with their own dedicated pens, and each one those pens with it's own unique ergonomic problems, but as bad as they are ergonomically, inking wise they are all capable, which makes it much more harder to justify buying a third-party Stylus like Bic for your EMR devices. Ironically, it's the AES and NTrig consumer market that is a sea of consumer tablets and laptops which don't come with a bundled pen and for which buying a superior third party Stylus makes much more sense, but then nobody who is actually that serious about inking will ever buy an AES or NTrig device.

Thus, one one hand EMR users already have good enough pens but they can buy a very slightly better pen for a much more expensive price. On the other hand, AES users have the option to buy a first party moderately bad pen that is moderately expensive or they can buy a considerably worse third party pen for a slightly cheaper price. That's the sorry state of affairs for digital Notetakers outside the Apple universe. Seriously, if i wasn't from science stream i would have never bothered with OneNote. I would have been just as happy with the simplistic Apple Notes.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019