This is looking very bad...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Ris, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ris

Ris Pen Pal - Newbie

I finally got my ASUS R1F tablet through on the 23rd Feb, after having placed my order on the 1st. Since then I have fallen in love with it and am convinced I made the right choice!

Until perhaps today...when I came home, boot up the machine and get to the password screen only to have the system shut down instantly. Following this abnormality, I was distraught to find that I can no longer boot up the machine! Flicking the power switch does absolutely nothing.

This is the K008E model that comes with Vista and the bigger HD. I have since added a second HD in place of the optical drive. I have tried flicking the power switch while and while not plugged into the mains, while and while not having the battery inserted and have even tried removing the 2nd HD (which to be honest I was not expecting to make a difference).

Has anyone heard of a case like this before? Any suggestions other than one that will involve me waiting about a month for a repair/replacement?

:(

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If it refuses to work even from the mains, then I am sorry to have to say but I am afraid you most certainly have a hardware fault.

You need to contact ASUS soonest.

3. kudoskun

kudoskun Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you have any USB hardware plugged in? Mine wont boot if I have certain devices plugged in on a cold boot (not a restart)

4. Ris

Ris Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope no USB devices are plugged in, looks like I will be on the phone to ASUS support today and starting the process of claiming on my warrenty :/

Is there anyone about who has had to send a machine back to ASUS in the past for inspection/repair? Could they give me a rough idea of how long it took for them to get the machine back?

5. job

job Pen Pal - Newbie

On my unit, there is a small hole near the locker of the cd drive on the bottom of the case that is for reset. Try to punch it and reset and see if it works.

6. Ris

Ris Pen Pal - Newbie

The reset button near the latch to release the cd drive? I tried pressing that with a toothpick, but it did not seem to have any effect when I flciked the power switch afterwards :/

Could definately feel the button was pressed too. Im assuming that there must be some hardware fault inside the laptop with regards to the power.

7. job

job Pen Pal - Newbie

yes that was what I meant. Sorry it didn't work.

8. Ris

Ris Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I called up ASUS today, all in all I am pleased with the support they provided. After a short 5 minute call I was instantly sent the form that required completing. Once this had been sent back I recieved a call a few hours later confirming the date of my purchase, followed by another instant email containing codes and another number to call to arrange a pickup time.

So now my laptop is leaving first thing Monday, it is a little worrying that i may not see it in their words for "up to 3 weeks" but i figure they have to say that if they do not know the problem.

...You think I should pack the power adapter too? I forgot to ask :#)

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No... With the exception of the battery, leave everything out of the tablet, including the pen.

10. histeriacolectiv

histeriacolectiv Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Ris,
    I have just had the same problem (with a K0018E, preinstalled Vista). Thank you P8rson for directing me to this thread.
    I find this fault extremely distressing because there is nothing we can do, nothing you can try to reinstall or anything, the computer is just dead.
    Where did you buy your machine? I bought in the UK, from laptopsdirect. I tried to phone Asus UK but they are not open until Monday, I guess I will arrange everything tomorrow to try to send it to them on Tuesday.
    Please keep us posted with any news.
    Good luck with yours Ris!
    Histe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.