This is close to the scariest thing I've ever read about digital privacy invasion ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by lovelaptops, Aug 31, 2019.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

It's good of you to bring this up. Electronic privacy is of critical importance. It occurs to me that this might evolve like credit scores: businesses want a way to aggregate information about you and create a simple metric to measure you with, and it can influence a lot of your life, from getting a job to renting an apartment. Activists have to fight for the right to know what your score is, further get details and correct mistakes. It's a huge struggle. Social credit scoring is going to be a bigger struggle. It would start off right if technologists were in charge from the beginning, but it's not going to. Corporations are going to be in control and their hired technologists will create whatever the corporate managers dictate.

lovelaptops likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

It's worth noting that Wired recently ran an article that clarifies the current state of the social credit efforts in China. The article seems to be a reasonable effort to capture the implications of social credit without being alarmist. Most interesting are the points that it makes about things like this that are going on in the US...!

https://www.wired.com/story/china-social-credit-score-system/

(Courtesy of Wired site)

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Yes. I've read about 10 articles on this now - knew it was going on, just didn't realize how fast it was moving and how vulnerable it's making consumers to "corporatization" of "social regulation" in the US. Be careful about putting a negative comment on an airbnb or uber experience; you may soon find yourself blackballed all over the place. And I am not being alarmist. Read and learn.

I have to say, I was really disappointed in that article. First, it seemed to want to downplay the true evil the Chinese government intends to do with this and, second, it relies on the fact that it's not yet been fully centralized - as it clearly will become - in the Chinese Communist Party to suggest that it's not the worry that many have suggested. It's a huge, huge worry, and it is growing exponentially and is outrageously Orwellian. It's very scary as a "private sector" implementation in the US, run by the "benevolent for-profit data sales companies" - the only place evil corporate behavior is scarier is when it's centralized and *enforced* by an authoritarian government, that has 1 million Muslims (at least) currently in concentration camps.

But I'm not overly concerned. :vbeek:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019