Third party Apple Pencil nibs with rougher texture?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by siddhartth, Jun 25, 2019.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There's a company that makes third party nibs for Microsoft surface pens. I was wondering if there's a possibility that a third party hardware maker can make Apple pencil tips with rougher texture can be procured. There's a an unbelievably huge Market for it. Apple Pencils are afterall the most common tablet stylus for the foreseeable future. And nobody i have met has ever been satisfied with it's slipperiness despite various paper like protectors, which lose their effectiveness in less then a week due to the skin oils deposited by frequent touching. And thanks to nature and size of the nib, aren't really much effective to begin with.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I mean technically it should be possible....but the Apple Pencils nib actually has a sensor in the nib itself. (Presumably for tilt?)......that would make it a tad more difficulty to reproduce.....unlike Wacom/Surface Nibs....which are just the nib in and of itself.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You are correct, the nib is proprietary and patented, thus the reason for no 3rd party options. Also why the Logitech crayon is the way it is.

4. siddhartth

Adonit Note reportedly has tilt too, so i guess, it could be something other than the sensors.

But if Apple Pencil Nib is a patented proprietary tech, then it makes it more of a moral responsibility for Apple to do something about the slipperiness of the Pencil. I have not yet came across a single Pencil user, who doesn't feel better with a third party paperlike layer on the iPad screen.

The third party screen protector's partly work for a day or 2 before your skin oils make them slippery again. you have to use soap and water then, which is not exactly ideal on a device that is not water proof despite the pro moniker.

5. siddhartth

Anyways, any of the forum members have had any experience with these silicone tips covers?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SBN35T6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_.xefDb1B0M11F

I wonder if they increase or decrease the Pencil nib control (friction) when used over a paperfeel screen protector. Should not silicon give a lil bit more resistance than hard plastic?

Those of us who are in America can try ordering it.
    It claims to protect the original pencil tips from abrasive matte screen protectors. Also, dampens the tapping sounds of the pencil nib hitting the iPads. In my opinion, matte glass, on it's own goes a long way in reducing the noise, any additional benefit will be significant. This might be of concern to @dstrauss

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019