Thinkpad Yoga overheating...

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by thirdeye, May 29, 2016.

1. thirdeye

thirdeye Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a ThinkPad Yoga 12 2015 and I've been having random periods of overheating issues.
    • Fan runs at full blast. I can feel and hear it blowing.
    • I have removed the bottom and no obstruction and no dust.
    • Latest BIOS and hasn't been changed in 4 months.
    • Regardless of CPU load, fan is running 100% at all times. I've tried restarting, removing all unnecessary apps, optimizing laptop with Lenovo utility. I can restart, turn on airplane mode, no apps opened, CPU load is almost 0%... but notebook gets uncomfortably hot, even with the fan running.
    • Easily able to achieve 6+ hours before, but with the fan and overheating issue, I can barely get 2-3 hours with battery saving on, 25% screen, just typing in word doc.
    Several months back, the problem began, but mysteriously went away. It's been working fine since, but has been acting up a couple weeks ago.

Please help! I'm about ready to get rid of this thing and go back to a Surface Pro...

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

What are your idle temps? Operating temps?

3. thirdeye

idle
    tpy temps.PNG

after some light Chrome browsing
    tpy temp 2.PNG

I understand it's below operating temp threshold, but it's killing battery life, unusable on the lap, very loud fan, and it didn't behave like this a month ago.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  4. dblkk

dblkk Pen Pal - Newbie

Had a very similar situation with my sp3, try running any music app, if once music is playing (mute or with volume up) then it's an audio driver. Wierd but that was it for me.

If that is the case, go to device manager, Uninstall the audio driver, reboot, and use lenovo website to get audio driver not windows update.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I was wondering if it was a mechanical problem that could be cured by a thermal pasting job or replacement of the heat exchangers but it looks like a software problem. Your system is running well below its tolerances and idle temps are nearly ideal.

6. thirdeye

This thing has a mind of its own. Today, it has returned to normal.
    I've been running it for the last 2 hours (on pace for 6 hours battery), watching Youtube videos, with less than ideal ventilation (resting on my bed) and here are the temps:

tpy temp 3.PNG