Thinkpad Yoga or Vaio Duo 13 - other suggestions welcome

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ericb, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericb

ericb Pen Pal - Newbie

New to the forum, and having a terrible time making a decision.

Right now I'm trying to pick between the Thinkpad Yoga and the Vaio Duo 13, but I'm open to suggestions if I've missed something. I'm looking for a Windows 8 convertible with an active digitizer. I'd like something fairly light and thin that isn't totally brick-like while i'm drawing or note-taking, but I don't want to go any smaller in screen size than the Thinkpad's 12.5" screen. Decent battery life would be nice. Serious processing power isn't required, I do most of my work in a browser or a text editor.

Will be used for:
    • 65% Coding (PHP/HTML/CSS/JS in Sublime Text 3) and Email
    • 25% Photoshop (mostly for slicing up web designs, not art)
    • 10% Note taking and art with the stylus

I live in the middle of nowhere, so I don't have the opportunity to try either of these in person. Reviews tell me the keyboard on the Thinkpad is very good, and not so much on the Duo. I do a lot of typing, but I don't think I'm a keyboard snob.

I do a bunch of work in Photoshop, but not much art, so the lack of pressure support in Photoshop with the N-Trig digitizer isn't too much an issue (although it is kind of a bummer). Do we know if support will come with Creative Cloud?

I'll use the active digitizer mostly for note taking at meetings. Some art, but not a lot. How is sketchbook pro's support for N-Trig?

I really like the Vaio Duo's size, weight, and battery life. I worry a little about the size of that odd little trackpad, but I'm not a huge fan of trackpads as pointing devices in general. I use a wireless mouse frequently anyway, but I don't always have it with me. I also worry about the keyboard, after having read quite a few reviews that say it's not great, but I have no idea whether it's really that bad without trying it for myself.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I haven't used the Yoga 2, but I assume it will be better for your needs based on your requirements, though both would work great for you.

The Duo 13 is a GREAT all around machine, with it's major weakness being it's terrible keyboard. I really don't like it. It feels worse than most keyboards to me, and I am not a keyboard snob. My wife uses it all the time, and really hates the keyboard compared to the macbook she came from using.
    The active digitizer on both units would work great for what you need.
    Yes, the ntrig works excellent with Sketchbook Pro.

The Duo 13 is a little sleeker and it has astounding battery life, but if you type a lot the Yoga 2 is an excellent looking choice for you. Just be sure to select the one with the digitizer, not all models have the pen I think (?)

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Vaio Duo 13 seems like a great choice based on the few times I've played with it at the Sony Store. Notetaking with the the Thinkpad Yoga may feel better due to the additional pressure levels in the Wacom digitizer. The Sony screen is very reflective and the Thinkpad display has a matte finish which makes it better for outdoor use. The Sony may win on price. Don't think you'll be upset with your decision either way.

4. ericb

ericb Pen Pal - Newbie

As far as I know, you can only get the Thinkpad Yoga with the active digitizer directly from the Lenovo website. The model they sell at Amazon and Newegg do not, at any rate.

I think it'll really come down to the keyboard. I guess I'm going to have to travel to find a Vaio Duo to try in person.

The larger screen on the Vaio and better battery life are really tempting, but I think it'll come down to the keyboard. I guess I'm going to either have to travel to find a Vaio Duo to try in person, or wait a few weeks to see what'll be shown at CES.

5. ThornyJohn

ThornyJohn Pen Pal - Newbie

The nTrig digitizer is passable for slicing and note taking, but a Wacom digitizer is better all around. The keyboard on the Yoga will also serve you better for your purposes. Just make sure that you're getting the right model, with the digitizer, should you go with the Yoga. Most of the models currently available for Christmas from places like Amazon, Fry's and Costco do *not* come with the Wacom digitizer, though only Costco is stating this outright; the others seem to only be implying it by omission.

6. ericb

ericb Pen Pal - Newbie

How does your wife feel about the non-adjustable screen angle in laptop mode? Is it ever problematic? What about that trackpad, is it usable?