thinkpad yoga options

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Arthur Thompson, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Arthur Thompson

Arthur Thompson Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    2400 NZD max, would prefer less
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    notebook convertible
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 10 to 13-inches
    5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    New Zealand
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Prefer thinkpad for input devices
    7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Web Surfing
    9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Mainly just a browser
    11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    maybe a little supreme commander 1
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    no
    Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    min 1080p
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    yes in a sunny room some of the time
    3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    yes, in a silo

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    128gb min. 8gb ram
    2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    none
    Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    I enjoy having the option of using the trackpoint
    2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Hi, so I'm looking at two options really as theres not much second hand in NZ.

X1 Yoga gen 3: https://www.lenovo.com/nz/en/laptops/thinkpad/x1-series/ThinkPad-X1-Yoga-3rd-Gen/p/20LDA00UAU

X1 Yoga gen 4: https://www.lenovo.com/nz/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-yoga/X1-Yoga-Gen-4/p/22TP2TXX14Y

The x1 yoga gen 4 comes to 2400 after a discount at checkout so technically it is in budget but only just.
    I also have a strong preference for rigidity and good build quality. If there are any other options I'm open to that as well. Thanks

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Based on this I'd go with the gen 4 option. Personally I had a lot of trouble with the gen 3 model, see the 7th post in the X1 Yoga 4 thread. It seems like the 4th gen has fewer issues that the 3rd gen. Thanks for filling out the whole form by the way, it's a bit lengthy!

3. Arthur Thompson

Arthur Thompson Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah the aluminium just looks thicker than the magnesium in the gen 3. Its $560 NZD (360 usd) more though, just not sure if I can justify that much of a price increase...
    Have you tried the gen 4? I was wondering if there is a magnet to hold the display closed?

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oh, sorry, I didn't see this response for some reason. I personally haven't tried the Gen 4, but you can see people's impressions the X1Y4 thread that I mentioned. You can also check out the official Lenovo forums, they allow pretty negative posts on there, so if people aren't happy with their Gen 4 you'll read about it there. BTW there are also some more affordable non-X1 Lenovo options, for example the Flex 5 (no silo I think though) or the X13 or the cheaper L13 yoga, lots of options even just in the Yoga world!