ThinkPad Yoga 460 (20FY0002US)- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by HionHiFi, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

hello folks.

Does the Yoga 460 have an inferior touchpad vs the previous gen Yoga 14 (broadwell CPU)?

I read that the Yoga 460 moved to Elan and Yoga 14 broadwell was still on synaptics and much better response.

thank you for any information.

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@Yao it's Elan indeed. Moreover that, being a clickpad - I dare say it sucks by default. =p

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  3. Yao

hi starlight, its not a clickpad. lenovo went back to right left click buttons on 2nd generation of Yoga 14 (Yoga 460 is 3rd generation).

4. Starlight5

@Yao they both are clickpads; the fact that you can use trackpoint buttons with those touchpads doesn't make them any less clickpad'y - when you press on it, it goes down with a click. E.g. touchpad on MBP ain't a clickpad, although buttonless.

Yao likes this.
  5. Yao

what is the change or improvement of touchpad in the skylake Yoga 460 line over previous? thanks.

6. yayman123

yayman123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup, I overclocked my 940M with ease...
    Before:
    Before.png
    After:
    After.png

A modest boost but...
    1) Gets me enough of an FPS boost that it's noticeable in quite a bit of games.
    2) I now have one of the best 940M's in the world according to UserBenchmark with a 12.3%, beating the best 940M by 0.3% :D

7. jvalenti370

jvalenti370 Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased my Yoga 460 in March 2017. Now, in August 2017, I remain fully delighted with the unit in many many ways. I feel it was (and still is) a great value for the money. Except...my unit does not have a GPU. Can I possibly upgrade?
    I did add memory as well as a 2nd 500GB ssd. These upgrades work splendidly. :
    I had previously always used ThinkPad W-series or T-series, machines which had real GPUs (discrete graphics cards). The absence of a graphics card (no GPU) is really hampering my use of my Yoga 460. The CPU cannot handle the load and performance suffers when I am using a low-end video editor or using screen sharing (via Skype or other). I have two high-resolution external monitors on a docking station, and the absence of a GPU really is noticeable.
    I really wish I could find a way to improve graphics performance (internal or even a practical external GPU?) but so far all I can do is suffer through it (and explain to prospective customers that my computer is slow specifically because we're doing a demo!). I may end up switching to a P50 or something else unless I can find a workaround.
    Obviously my machine is not one of the bestbuy models that has a GPU and I cannot find a way to upgrade. Any ideas??

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  8. Starlight5

@jvalenti370 you will need a different motherboard and corresponding heatsink. Motherboards for TPY460 are crazy expensive at the moment, I believe it will cost you over $400 for MB & heatsink unless you're lucky to find a cheap one. Say bye-bye to your warranty as well, after the swap.

I believe it is better to buy a used TPY 460 with dGPU (they can be found as low as $600) and either transfer your upgrades there for sake of speed and convenience, or swap motherboards and cooling - and sell the unneeded TPY460 for $500 afterwards, to cover the losses.

SciuriusRex likes this.
  9. jvalenti370

Thanks for this insight, @Starlight5. The idea of replacing one TPY 460 with another is a good one, and I will likely explore it. Next, possibly dumb, question: it is reasonable to suppose that the dGPU will, in fact, solve my problem? My machine type is 20FY0002US. Where can I find the part number(s) for comparable TPY 460s with the GPU?

Context: I connect to two external monitors (one at 2560x1440 and the other at plain-old 1920x1080, as well as the laptop itself at 1920x1080). This is done via the OneLink+ dock and a pair of DisplayPort cables. My CPU is i5-6200.

The problem I encounter is that the CPU-usage skyrockets when I am sharing screens for client demos (sometimes on Skype, sometimes on Join.Me), and then basic things (like the software I am trying to show off!) suddenly runs super slowly. I get the same problem when I attempt to record demo-videos using OBS-Studio or other apps.

The model with the GPU was not available in Canada, and I naively presumed "it'll be fine, eh?"... but it isn't.

10. jvalenti370

Resource: This is a Lenovo PSREF page I sometimes use. Generally accurate. This page for the TPY 460 doesn't list a part number with a GPU. http://psref.lenovo.com/Fullscreen/ThinkPad_Yoga_460