ThinkPad Yoga 460 (20FY0002US)- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by HionHiFi, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

hello folks.

Does the Yoga 460 have an inferior touchpad vs the previous gen Yoga 14 (broadwell CPU)?

I read that the Yoga 460 moved to Elan and Yoga 14 broadwell was still on synaptics and much better response.

thank you for any information.

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@Yao it's Elan indeed. Moreover that, being a clickpad - I dare say it sucks by default. =p

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  3. Yao

hi starlight, its not a clickpad. lenovo went back to right left click buttons on 2nd generation of Yoga 14 (Yoga 460 is 3rd generation).

4. Starlight5

@Yao they both are clickpads; the fact that you can use trackpoint buttons with those touchpads doesn't make them any less clickpad'y - when you press on it, it goes down with a click. E.g. touchpad on MBP ain't a clickpad, although buttonless.

Yao likes this.
  5. Yao

what is the change or improvement of touchpad in the skylake Yoga 460 line over previous? thanks.

6. yayman123

yayman123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup, I overclocked my 940M with ease...
    Before:
    Before.png
    After:
    After.png

A modest boost but...
    1) Gets me enough of an FPS boost that it's noticeable in quite a bit of games.
    2) I now have one of the best 940M's in the world according to UserBenchmark with a 12.3%, beating the best 940M by 0.3% :D

7. jvalenti370

jvalenti370 Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased my Yoga 460 in March 2017. Now, in August 2017, I remain fully delighted with the unit in many many ways. I feel it was (and still is) a great value for the money. Except...my unit does not have a GPU. Can I possibly upgrade?
    I did add memory as well as a 2nd 500GB ssd. These upgrades work splendidly. :
    I had previously always used ThinkPad W-series or T-series, machines which had real GPUs (discrete graphics cards). The absence of a graphics card (no GPU) is really hampering my use of my Yoga 460. The CPU cannot handle the load and performance suffers when I am using a low-end video editor or using screen sharing (via Skype or other). I have two high-resolution external monitors on a docking station, and the absence of a GPU really is noticeable.
    I really wish I could find a way to improve graphics performance (internal or even a practical external GPU?) but so far all I can do is suffer through it (and explain to prospective customers that my computer is slow specifically because we're doing a demo!). I may end up switching to a P50 or something else unless I can find a workaround.
    Obviously my machine is not one of the bestbuy models that has a GPU and I cannot find a way to upgrade. Any ideas??

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  8. Starlight5

@jvalenti370 you will need a different motherboard and corresponding heatsink. Motherboards for TPY460 are crazy expensive at the moment, I believe it will cost you over $400 for MB & heatsink unless you're lucky to find a cheap one. Say bye-bye to your warranty as well, after the swap.

I believe it is better to buy a used TPY 460 with dGPU (they can be found as low as $600) and either transfer your upgrades there for sake of speed and convenience, or swap motherboards and cooling - and sell the unneeded TPY460 for $500 afterwards, to cover the losses.

SciuriusRex likes this.
  9. jvalenti370

Thanks for this insight, @Starlight5. The idea of replacing one TPY 460 with another is a good one, and I will likely explore it. Next, possibly dumb, question: it is reasonable to suppose that the dGPU will, in fact, solve my problem? My machine type is 20FY0002US. Where can I find the part number(s) for comparable TPY 460s with the GPU?

Context: I connect to two external monitors (one at 2560x1440 and the other at plain-old 1920x1080, as well as the laptop itself at 1920x1080). This is done via the OneLink+ dock and a pair of DisplayPort cables. My CPU is i5-6200.

The problem I encounter is that the CPU-usage skyrockets when I am sharing screens for client demos (sometimes on Skype, sometimes on Join.Me), and then basic things (like the software I am trying to show off!) suddenly runs super slowly. I get the same problem when I attempt to record demo-videos using OBS-Studio or other apps.

The model with the GPU was not available in Canada, and I naively presumed "it'll be fine, eh?"... but it isn't.

10. jvalenti370

Resource: This is a Lenovo PSREF page I sometimes use. Generally accurate. This page for the TPY 460 doesn't list a part number with a GPU. http://psref.lenovo.com/Fullscreen/ThinkPad_Yoga_460