ThinkPad Yoga 460 (20FY0002US)- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by HionHiFi, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

that is unfortunate. I had the thinkpad Yoga 12 and the battery life was only 4.5 hrs. not sure why. i couldnt find the fix on it and therefore had to sell it.

2. Yao

hello folks,

Does the dedicated nvidia graphics card reduce the battery life significantly on the Yoga 14 (460)?

I'm guessing the switching technology from intel to nvidia could be difficult to manage.

any insight on this would be great.

thank you.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

My understanding after some research is that Windows intelligently switches form using the GPU or shutting it off, based on the whether the program uses one or not. So, the short answer is no- I don't think it adversely affects battery life for normal tasks.

4. Yao

great to hear. thanks for this info.

5. Yao

hello guys,

my buddy just got a new Thinkpad Yoga 460 with Nvidia graphics. i5 6200u cpu.

he installed BatteryBar app and its only reporting 4:30 hrs at 11,000 mW discharge rate. Brand new. Battery has 0.1% wear.

May I ask anyone here why is the battery charge so low? any insight or information would be great. thanks.

6. Steve B

The battery is right around 52000, so at 11,000 mW that's about right. You can try running the task manager to find out if there's an app that is causing high CPU usage. I had this issue for WLAN Config, and I had to hunt down and update my wifi diver manually from Intel to solve it. You may have some similar issue. That's a start. New laptops also often go through high CPU usage and battery drain for the first week or so, as updates get downloaded and installed, things get filed, etc. If you're power plan is High Performance that can also cause quicker battery drain, as can running your screen at 100% brightness. It's usually one of those things.

If I had a new battery, given my battery stats, I should get about 6-7 hours, but I also run on Lenovos Optimized power plan, with my brightness usually around 75%. My battery usage is about 7000-8000 mW on average, but that's doing stuff like browsing, OneNote, Office, Sketchup, etc. If I was on a plane and used airplane mode, I might get 8 hours absolute max.

Yao likes this.
  7. Yao

hello Steve B, and thank you for the detailed response.

7000-8000 mW discharge rate is the goal here. for some strange reason, 11,000+ is what is happening.

I told my buddy to check the things you suggested.

Here is the strange thing. BatteryBar is showing 11,000+ discharge rate but the Windows 10 battery usage is reporting less adding about 2 hrs more to the remaining time. Which one is more accurate?

8. Steve B

I can't speak to which is more accurate. I would suggest simply using the device and timing how long it works for. I've only ever used Battery Bar, so I assumed it's correct, but that may not be true. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

9. Phoenix55b

Phoenix55b Pen Pal - Newbie

I just ordered one of these from BestBuy and am awaiting it's arrival.

Has anyone tried running this in clamshell with an external monitor? I have an HP 27" monitor I am planning to use. One of the primary reasons I selected this model is the dedicated nVidia video card which I hope will work effortlessly with my 27" monitor.

This laptop will function primarily as a desktop and occasionally as a laptop/tablet.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  10. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@Phoenix55b I would not recommend using a laptop in the described fashion. I used my first laptop like that, and believe it caused appearance of dead pixels on the display due to the fact it was closed during long gaming sessions, since the laptop was babied otherwise. You can always use it as a tablet with display off, to avoid the risk.

Yao likes this.