ThinkPad Yoga 460 (20FY0002US)- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by HionHiFi, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok so I got my package today, and even though it said "NEW" where I purchased it, it didn't come in a lenovo box and it was only the 30 pin to 30 pin cable, not both cables. I tried ordering direct from IBM, but they immediately cancelled my order. So I am again rolling the dice for the cable on a seller on alibaba... I asked the seller to specifically send me the WQHD cable. Hopefully it arrives soon. Playing the waiting game again :(

2. TXCIclista

TXCIclista Pen Pal - Newbie

I want to say thanks for what has been a highly informative thread. I've really enjoyed it.

I registered because I wanted to ask about the m.2 drive. I'm debating adding a 256Gb 42mm, but I'm unclear on whether it can actually be used as a drive. I saw the comment in one of the early posts about adding one, but it wasn't clear to me if this means I can take off the back, add an m.2, and then have two SSD's (I have the Best Buy TP Yoga 14 w/ the 256Gb SSD). I guess part of this is that I'm not clear about whether I have a "460" or a "Thinkpad Yoga 14" (or if they're both the same thing).

3. cbutters

You can use the m.2 drive without a sata drive, the sata drive without a m.2 drive, or both at the same time. The Best Buy TP Yoga 14 w/ the 256GB is the "460" if it has a siloed pen. The model number will start with 20FY.

Also... to give an update on my recent attempt to replace the 1080P screen in my 20FY with a 1440P screen. I finally received a package that does indeed have the WQHD cable I need for the 1440P screen. I will be attempting to finish the screen replacement tonight. Judging by the fact that both the 1440P cable and the 1080P cable have the same 30 pin EDP port on the motherboard side; I'm very confident that it will work. but I will follow up in about 6 hours.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  4. cbutters

Ok, so I finally had the right screen, the right cable, removed the screen from the hinge got the new cable routed, everything fit just fine and was in place. The computer boots but I get no image. I highly suspect the 1440P screen I got off ebay is broken or defective. I don't think I have the patience or money to try to source another 1440P screen and try it again though :( . I took it all apart again and dropped the 1080p screen and 1080p cable back in place. Its all working again, just back at square one though.

kinonotabi likes this.
  5. kinonotabi

kinonotabi Pen Pal - Newbie

To bad you don't succeed to swap the display but I salute you for your effort to try it.
    For defective screen I don't sure before test it on default machine type, It might be defect but it might be just don't comply on different laptop type.
    But I get many great information for your doing so far

Thank you

cbutters likes this.
  6. oink

oink Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, I just signed up to this forum. I hope you will be patient with me. I (wife actually) just purchased the Best Buy 20FY-0002US ThinkPad (Open box + on sale + bargained down). It has the ThinkPad Pen Pro stylus, the 8GB ram and the 256 SSD drive. Wife would prefer a 512GB or higher drive and if possible 16 GB of ram. Did get a great price for the 2 in 1 computer/tablet. All of the official information I find indicates the ram isn't upgradable. I gather from this forum that it is upgradable to 16. If that is correct and it works properly could you point me to the correct ram to purchase (links are nice)? Also, on the hard drive expansion, which one to buy? I gather there are a couple of ways to do that. Do I yank the factory SSD and replace with a bigger one (recommendations please)? Or do I add an m2 drive, whatever that is? Or can I do both and give her more than 512GB of drive space? Links to the right stuff are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you time and patience.

Tom

7. cbutters

Tom... This video is for you..... Links to purchase the parts are in the description. Let us know how it goes.

8. oink

oink Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, Samsung 1TB SSD drive installed with everything transferred and all is working fine. 16 GB Ram installed and working fine. However, ZTC 512 M.2 drive installed and computer boots fine but the drive is nowhere to be seen. It doesn't show in Disk Management or anywhere else as far as far as I can tell. Should I assume it's bad drive or I'm not looking in the right place or a setting needs to be changed in bios or something else?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  9. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

Bad drive.

10. oink

oink Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.